Burning harwoods

ucfireman

Most of my property is hardwood bottom. I have asked the Ga Forestry about burning it, they say they don't recommend it. So, do any of yall burn your bottoms? Most is pretty thick, some open, I have a lot of privet, don't really want to kill anything just "kick start" things (low grasses etc, especially in the open areas). Any ideas?

Big7

The Oracle
Get with a tree Arborist.

They can tell you when, where, how and why. ;)

Right conditions, you can burn the under-growth
and not hurt the larger trees.

Forest Service will cut you a fire line and
(might charge, might not)
that way, you are covered. Prolly will need a permit.

Quail/deer "plantations" do it about every
8 years.

treemanjohn

Banned
How much land do you have that you're wanting to open up? Chinese privet will be a huge bear and burning wont do a thing. Cutting of bushogging just makes it angry. I strongly suggest hack and spray with arsenal or glyphosate.

1gr8bldr

Insurance

ucfireman

How much land do you have that you're wanting to open up? Chinese privet will be a huge bear and burning wont do a thing. Cutting of bushogging just makes it angry. I strongly suggest hack and spray with arsenal or glyphosate.
I'm ok with the privet coming back, I just want to get it down to where I can keep it low (deer browse). I had an area cut a few years ago and just bush hog it every year, works well. The area I want opened up has privet 10-15 ft and 4-6 inches in diameter. Probably going to cut with a track bobcat and brush cutter. The burn was more to get rid of leaf litter and hopefully get some grasses to grow in the area previously cleared. Its about 2-3 ac.

Triple C

Privet ain't you friend. Left unchecked it will become and understory monoculture. Fire doesn't phase it. As treemanjohn said, cutting or bush hogging only makes it angry. I'd personally attack the privet with all you got while you can. I've got a hardwood draw that had a massive oak blow down about 3 years ago. A small amount of privet was around the base. Now the area is completely covered in privet and the draw is filling in with privet. I'm gonna be after it in a huge way come green up with hack and squirt on the larger stuff and foliar application on the smaller stuff.

As for burning hardwoods, really experience prescribe burn guys can do it but not me. Too risky on losing hardwoods for me to do.

K80

I'm ok with the privet coming back, I just want to get it down to where I can keep it low (deer browse). I had an area cut a few years ago and just bush hog it every year, works well. The area I want opened up has privet 10-15 ft and 4-6 inches in diameter. Probably going to cut with a track bobcat and brush cutter. The burn was more to get rid of leaf litter and hopefully get some grasses to grow in the area previously cleared. Its about 2-3 ac.

4 to 6 inches is a bit large for skid with bush hog to be efficient. Own both go for it but it'll be hard on your equipment. If you don't have 1/2 lexan door, don't attempt it. Privet is brittle and will break off in large pieces that can kill you.

Where are you located? I know a few folks in the forestry mulching business throughout the state.

ucfireman

4 to 6 inches is a bit large for skid with bush hog to be efficient. Own both go for it but it'll be hard on your equipment. If you don't have 1/2 lexan door, don't attempt it. Privet is brittle and will break off in large pieces that can kill you.

Where are you located? I know a few folks in the forestry mulching business throughout the state.
Newnan, I don't have the machines. I was going to rent from a local source. Would really like someone with forestry head but haven't found anyone local or low enough price.

K80

Low enough, there is a reason they aren't low enough. It cost to operate. The folks I know aren't cheap.

If you rent, be careful. It can be dangerous. There was a doctor in Tennessee killed recently trying to do it himself.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Low enough, there is a reason they aren't low enough. It cost to operate. The folks I know aren't cheap.

If you rent, be careful. It can be dangerous. There was a doctor in Tennessee killed recently trying to do it himself.

Best money I spent clearing 5 acres was a mulching machine and operator.