We know what to do,

1gr8bldr

We know what to do, we just need to do it. Why is it sooo hard to spend money on deer this time of the year? We don't seem to mind it in November. We just need to help them through the hard times. Give them high protein instead of starving and living off body fat. They will be fine without our help however, if a buck loses body mass during these next few months due to hard times, his body will rebuild his health first and his horn growth will come in second. However, if he makes it through to horn growing season healthy, his horns will have optimal growing potential. LOL, I know this, but how hard it is to spend that money. My plans this year, I have done it some years in the past, is to mix 30% beans and 70% corn in 2 of my feeders and keep it going. For my feeders, that's 2 bushell of beans, $19 , the remaining corn. [My feeders almost 500lb cap] Lasting almost 2 months. My opinion is that I had rather have it dispensed a little every day verses more, running dry all the time. In the past, since my feeders never go 5 hours without being cleaned up, it being on the ground is no problem. Funny though at first, they eat all the corn gone first then the beans before they leave. 1 month later and they eat it all at one time. I have to feed late evening to keep turkeys from getting it. In the years I did this, I never had issue with rain. I have even feed 50% with no problems. During the off season, the bigger bucks will usually commandere the feeders, so the protein tends to go where you want it

Jim Boyd

We really NEED to go on a full time protein feeding program like David Hemly does.

He has the results to show for.

We have a lot of oat, clover, wheat and turnips planted right now, so we are feeding them but the protein feed is the next step.

Longhorn 16

I started protein this year and can see the benefits. Not full time but will be starting in June. We maintain about 30 acres of plot that have been going strong for 10 years.

Need to step up our game with the mineral as mentioned above.

Have some new land to work so it’s going to be busy this year.

Doolydawg03

I started protein this year and can see the benefits. Not full time but will be starting in June. We maintain about 30 acres of plot that have been going strong for 10 years.

Need to step up our game with the mineral as mentioned above.

Have some new land to work so it’s going to be busy this year.

Feeding that late in the summer probably wont give as good of results as starting your feeding program say april or sooner if you can.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Year round clover is the meat and potatoes of my deer health enterprises.Protein feed starts in 2 weeks and runs thru Oct.