.17 hmr vs .22 wmr

Ajohnson0587

Just got a Marlin 917 VRX in 17HMR, I love it! Shoots very flat and has some serious punch behind it for a Rimfire cartridge. I got it in a trade for a crossbow and will use it for plinking and hunting hogs on WMA's during small game season.

GunnSmokeer

I bought a used Marlin 882, stainless steel barrel with a black synthetic stock, for $160 at a local gun shop a few years ago.

It doesn't seem to group well with 30-grain bullets.

It prefers 40 grain bullets at the normal rifle velocity of just under 2000 f.p.s.

Accuracy is good, but nothing to brag about. This Marlin is not quite as good as the two .17 HMR rifles I've used, but I went with .22 magnum to get deeper penetration on coyotes.

If I were punching paper or killing smaller animals like woodchucks (groundhogs), squirrels, or crows, give me the .17 magnum.

For coyote or beaver, I'll take the 40 grain bullets from the .22 magnum.

P.S. I just shot my .22 magnum after dark, and I had a pretty good fireball of muzzle flash, despite my gun's barrel being a full 22" long. That was not long enough to burn all the gunpowder, and some was wasted.

I imagine that the .17 HMR also will fail to burn all its gunpowder in a normal length rifle barrel, and will be even less efficient.

Buckhead

I have both in CZ 452s. The HMR is slightly more accurate, flatter shooting, not as ammo sensitive and better for smaller game. The .22 mag has more anchoring power and is better if you plan to hunt predators. I literally blew a squirrel in half with my .22 mag, so it’s head shots only if you go that route.

I also have a .17 WSM. Better than the HMR and .22 mag in every way. Just stay away from the skinny barrel Bmags.

rosewood

Just a note on the ammo availability. I have seen in the last week the 200 round CCI ammo pack in the 17 hmr and in the 22mag at academy for about $49 per pack.

Rainmaker

Only one mention of the CZ in this thread - probably because it's out of the price ceiling.

However, compared to Marlin, Savage, and Ruger (which I have shot all 3 and owned 2) the CZ is in a different league in quality.

I had a CZ 452 Varmint in 17 hmr. Wonderful rifle that was accurate. It sat in my safe so I decided to sell it so someone else could enjoy it.

I also used it for prairie dogs one summer, and the 17 hmr did well 200 yards and in.

If I were buying one in the price range the OP mentioned I would buy the Ruger American Predator model in 17hmr or 22 mag. I have one of those in 22 LR for my daughter and it is very accurate with the right ammo.

Rainmaker

If they would put some decent bullets in the 17's we could see their real potential. Something like the 20 or 25gr Berger's. Even though the velocity would be less the down range performance would most likely be a lot better.

I've also measured the shoulder to rim distance on fired cases and the results were simply shocking. The shoulder in the chamber is way forward compared to the shoulder of the unfired cartridge. I have measured several factory guns and a couple of custom bbls.

My experience with the 17s has led me to avoid them for several reasons one of which is that it's impossible to clean the bore without dragging on the lands.

Do you mind sharing the other reasons why you avoid the 17s? Thanks

aabradley82

I like a 22 mag better for me. Might not shoot quite as flat as the 17 but has more whop when it gets there. Not as destructive either if you get behind the head on a squirrel.