Char-Griller all ceramic Akorn

Stackem

I was just in Lowes and noticed this grill. Ceramic in and out. Heavy duty just like a Big Green Egg. Price I think was $599. Anyone else seen these. I wonder what kind of warranty they have. May still be to early to get a review...Looks like they just came out.

JHannah92

That's interesting. I see it on the Lowe's website but not on CharGriller's. I'm curious about the warranty as well.

JHannah92

That can't be right. The metal Akorns have a 5 year warranty. Maybe chargriller will put some details online soon.

Dub

That can't be right. The metal Akorns have a 5 year warranty. Maybe chargriller will put some details online soon.

Agreed.

It seemed weird to me, too.

I gave Char-Griller a call at their customer service number this morning and spoke to Kyle.

Char-Griller®
PO Box 30864
Sea Island, GA 31561
+1 (912) 638-4724
Call Center Hours
Canadian Customers: Please call Customer Service to get shipping costs.
8:30 AM – 7:00 PM EST, M-F
service@chargriller.com

He said the units had been released about a month ago and they hadn't yet added them to their webpage.

I asked him what the warranty coverage was on the ceramic kamado.

He said that their engineering group was still working on what parts the warranty would cover and for how long. He said to call them back mid-month next month and they should know more then. I asked him if the one year limited warranty listed on Lowe's webpage was accurate. He asked me to hold on and he'd check.

He came back on a couple minutes later and said that it really would be a month or so before they knew what the warranty would actually be for the product and that if there are any problems experienced by the customers to please return the product back to the place of purchase for claims.

He was very polite and tried to help answer my questions but ultimately it came to down to waiting to find out.

I've had great experiences with my Akorn and with the Char-Griller offset I had prior to that. They both were offered at very fair prices.

I did find some odd dents in the dome pieces of my Akorn when I unboxed it. Box was fine...no issues... I'd hate to get the ceramic home and find problems.....and then be hauling the 250lb grill back to Lowe's. I've had great experience with Lowe's.....and I've had poor experiences, too. Same store was going through management changes and seems great now.

This grill could potentially be a tremendous seller for both Char-Griller and Lowe's at the $599 price point.

It would have been nice for them to get their gameplan in place before launching the product.

I have years of use with the Akorn and three ceramic kamados. It didn't hurt my feelings when my Akorn wore out after a few years.....I simply used that thing all the time...more than most folks use their oven & stove. It surpassed my every expectation. I got my $299 out of that grill...and more.

The ceramics I went on to buy are even easier to use and much easier to clean out ash. They are heavy beasts, though...and will not be tossed into the bed of a pickup for transport. Ceramic parts will crack at some point. I would not own one that didn't have a lifetime warranty......where they send you the parts. Kamado Joe has been OUTSTANDING in this regard.

Hopefully Char-Griller will get it sorted out soon and let potential buyers know exactly what's what.

This grill could be tremendous for them. :fine:

Stackem

Thanks for all the good info Dub. I have had the full size Char-griller and now the Jr akorn. They are fun for sure but always been interested in the ceramics....For now I guess I will keep an eye on this one while wearing out the jr.

Dub

Thanks for all the good info Dub. I have had the full size Char-griller and now the Jr akorn. They are fun for sure but always been interested in the ceramics....For now I guess I will keep an eye on this one while wearing out the jr.

No problem.

Cool little grills, those Jr. Thing is perform tailgates & tabletops.

If you didn't know....there is a spot where a lot of kamado users have active posts. It can get a bit "Ford vs Chevy" at times and occasional some of the folks don't know jack about grilling but deliver sermons on the gear you used.....then there are some of the long term folks who are next level good on their cooks and will go out of their way to help you out.

Anyway.....I'll link some recent posts about this intriguing new grills here:

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/37860-the-lowe’s-fairy-delivered-a-day-early/

Like I said.....that place can be a great resource.

JHannah92

Good info, Dub. I'll keep an eye out for more info from chargriller. My Akorn is getting a little long in the tooth and a ceramic in that price range might be a viable replacement.

Dub

Looks mighty nice, Possum.

It'd be cool if you posted up some cooks using them. The more the merrier 'round here.

Possum

Banned
I’ll be smokin 6lbs of deer jerky on mine tomorrow. I’ll try to remember to post a picture although jerky never looks as good as it tastes.

Dub

I’ll be smokin 6lbs of deer jerky on mine tomorrow. I’ll try to remember to post a picture although jerky never looks as good as it tastes.

Sounds mighty good.

Start up a thread here on Paymaster's Outdoor Cafe on it.

A kamado jerky thread would be really interesting. Probably right on time, too, with deer season wrapped up and folks have meat in the freezer.

Dr. Strangelove

Dub said:
This grill could potentially be a tremendous seller for both Char-Griller and Lowe's at the $599 price point.

I agree. I've owned a large and a mini BGE for 20 years or so now. I bought my large for $499 at the annual BGE Eggtoberfest in Atlanta. Today BGE has just about priced themselves out of my market. When people ask about it, I tell them I love my Eggs but I'd look around and see what other options are available at a more reasonable price point.

Possum said:
This grill is better made than a big green egg and it sells new for $582...
https://saffiregrills.com/grills-15″-bronze/

This looks like a cool product at a great price point. If I ever need to replace my BGE or add to my collection, I'll definitely take a hard look at this one.

Latest posts