Tower blinds

Confederate_Jay

I haven't been on here in a bit and just happened to look at the forum Tonite and see my old thread revived. I haven't built one in a couple years but that's because I haven't needed to. They are still all holding up with the only caualties coming from wind blowing them down. They get bent some but I've been able to massage them back into shape. We have however switched to using 5 ft T- post at each corner/leg and chain/bolt attached through hole drilled in the post. I have another thread on here somewhere with a materials/ cut list. I will try to find the link. I have lost count how many we have built but I know there are 6 on my lease in Laurens Co. And and at least 12 on the lease down here at home. You can buy a similar stand but our design is a little more overbuilt and the shooting enclosure is tall enough to stand up in.

Confederate_Jay

I can also tell you that I have a 16 footer that was store bought 20 years ago. It sat on a wet power line for many years. It was blown over a couple times and eventually the top enclosure damaged severely. I took it home, made minor repairs to the tower base and built a new shooting enclosure with our design and I have been hunting out of it the last 2 years.

Permitchaser

Those look great. Can you seal them when not in use. If they are not sealed, wasp,squriels, and Bobcats like to use them. Ask me how I know
It really fun getting in a box bilnd full of pest in the dark

rosewood

Those look great. Can you seal them when not in use. If they are not sealed, wasp,squriels, and Bobcats like to use them. Ask me how I know

You are supposed to "debug" your stand before every season. I spray a lot of Off in mine in warm weather, keeps most of the creepy crawlies out of it. The wasp are the biggest danger for sure.

I had a flying squirrel keep building a nest in mine. Kept chewing up my seat and fabric cover. Took me a while to figure out what it was until one morning when he ran across my back, finally saw him on the tree and then glided to the next. Cute little buggers. Fast though.

Rosewood

Last edited:

Gaswamp

tag

Confederate_Jay

I don't know about "sealing" them them. I just inspect them as part of my preseason routine. Wasps are usually main issue. When checking I will shake the stand hard from the ground and usually a few will fly out if there is a nest. I keep a couple cans of spray handy.
I put a couple little shelves in corners above window to keep stuff off the floor and usually a bird will have built a nest. They are long gone by season though