Decoys or no Decoys?

fountain

It's like this and it's this simple. Hunt how YOU want and don't worry about it. There are times decoys will make or break the hunt. I've had them help and had them hurt. It's all going to depend on the actual set up at that particular time. With time and trial and error, you will learn. Hunt how YOU want to hunt and don't worry about the rest

T-N-T

My decoys are dusty and I'm pretty sure they have dirt dauber nests in them.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I don`t use em. Never had a need to.

frankwright

I have used decoys when hunting on a food plot or pasture but have never killed a turkey while using them.
My friend killed three turkeys in three trips from a brush blind with decoys. He killed within the first 45 minutes each morning and all were killed from the same blind. So I guess sometimes they work!

TomC

They may not be necessary but I SURE DO want me a DSD Jake. Will probably have one by opening day to see for myself.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Did you carry a Brad Pitt blow up doll to attract your wife or girlfriend? Say no to fake turkeys. It's like wearing velcro hunting boots.

MesquiteHeat

Go with what fountain said, do what you want and don't look back...that's 2018 talk, and all fine and well and I used to have a cheap foam decoy too, used to. But because there's a man that lives in the woods that doesn't touch a computer and can't tell you this I'll say it for him in a way...Killing turkeys with a decoy (much less a God forsaken witchcraft voodoo hex like a fan) is like sex with a $2 CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored, even if it was good you'd still be ashamed of it

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Why would anybody care how another hunter hunts as long as he isn't doing anything illegal? I don't mean the original post. I'm talking about people being staunchly in favor of one or the other.

If you want to hunt with a decoy, so what? If not, so what? You paid for your license, your camo, your shells, your gun, etc. So you can hu t how you want.

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Why would anybody care how another hunter hunts as long as he isn't doing anything illegal? I don't mean the original post. I'm talking about people being staunchly in favor of one or the other.

Off you want to hunt with a decoy, so what? If not, so what? You paid for your license, your camo, your shells, your gun, etc. So you can hu t how you want.

:flag::cool::fine::cool:

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?

If you want to hunt with a decoy, so what? If not, so what? You paid for your license, your camo, your shells, your gun, etc. So you can hu t how you want.

Man that's the million dollar question!!!!!!!

A man puts buffalo turkey strips on the table!!!! It doesn't matter how...if it's there and it's legal....THAT man is the winner!

XIronheadX

I don't really care how anyone shoots a turkey legally hunting a decoy. I'd rather choose a setup to make one come into shooting range after I called it in. The last yards are the challenge I would rather make happen myself. But, that's why I hunt. What others do is up to them solely for the benefit they gain from it.

Mexican Squealer

I almost always use them. For me it's the old, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, philosophy. There have been times I know that I wouldn't have gotten a turkey had I not had decoys out. And there have been times when I didn't have one out and it almost certainly would have made a difference. Can you kill a turkey without one? Sure. But why not get every legal advantage you can? Turkey hunting is tough enough with a decoy. Anyone who thinks it makes you less of a hunter, I just laugh at those people while I'm walking out of the woods with my turkey.

I don't believe it makes you less of a turkey hunter. I've killed plenty of birds using decoys. I have had them ruin many hunts too (running off birds/hanging up birds so to me, they are not always an advantage.

Booner Killa

To me, turkey hunting is about versatility. Being able to adapt to the situation and make him flop is the key. I’m not a purest. I’ve killed em with decoys, without decoys, fanned em in, etc and every time I kill one or call one in for someone else and they kill, it’s just as fun. I’ve called in two for my son in a ground blind and he killed them and I don’t think we kill either bird without em.

WaltL1

Its all about stroking their own ego. Nothing more, nothing less.
Its not satisfying enough to know for themselves that they did it in what they deem to be "the hard way".
They want you to be impressed with them too.

WaltL1

I don't believe it makes you less of a turkey hunter. I've killed plenty of birds using decoys. I have had them ruin many hunts too (running off birds/hanging up birds so to me, they are not always an advantage.
Same here.
they are not always an advantage
Maybe if that happens to enough people, in time the forum will be full of "Oh you DONT use a decoy? You aren't a real turkey hunter because you don't do it the hard way" :D

XIronheadX

Walt, you need one of those new kayaks shaped like a big carp. They are catching some big fish with it. :D Beyond all else. Enjoy the outdoors. lol

WaltL1

Walt, you need one of those new kayaks shaped like a big carp. They are catching some big fish with it. :D Beyond all else. Enjoy the outdoors. lol
Ive been looking for a good excuse to get a new yak!

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Its all about stroking their own ego. Nothing more, nothing less.
Its not satisfying enough to know for themselves that they did it in what they deem to be "the hard way".
They want you to be impressed with them too.

:flag::cheers:That is it in a nutshell. I knew that on some level but you saying it was like a bolt of lightning. You're exactly right.

hrstille

I like to use decoys. It's nothing for me to put out 10 or 12. Nothing draws a gobbler like a flock of hens. I don't understand hunting without a decoy. Guys who hunt without them are missing out and at a serious disadvantage. If you don't use decoys, I'm willing to take you and show you how to use them