Smoke him off the roost?

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I ain't never shot a turkey

but I did hit one with my truck one time when it flew off a road bank in front of me

hope this helps

Lol, I woke up from a nap once just in time to see my brother n laws windshield shatter right in front of me. Instant heart failure.

MesquiteHeat

To me it ranks right up there with rifles out of truck windows. However, I know some were taught to do that and come from a strictly meat hunting age and mindset from decades ago, that's a different world. Ever had one repeatedly come in and THEN fly up?

deast1988

I read somewhere states have laws regarding this. Micheal Waddell in one of his early filmed hunts does it. Birds tree hopping an strutting all on the limbs he says birds off his roost literally switched trees on film. Then went to glory, after a nice fall out the tree. Situation presents itself I'd do it An not think twice about it.

WayneB

I fired a guy on a job in VA for shooting one on the roost with a bow. The rest of the story is the arrow pierced a roof of a tractor with an operator in it.

Guy said he was hungry. I gave him $20 for mickey D's and told him to haul tail out of there..

Swamprat

Swamprat
Read a book about a game warden in the Glades back in 40-50's. He said the turkeys would roost in the dwarf cypress and if you were slipping quiet thru the water before daylight you could reach up and snatch them off the roost.

If I remember right a few turkeys lost their life to that tactic.

Buckman18

I'd never shoot the majestic mountain turkey off the roost.

M Sharpe

Never have never will. After fly-down I still wait until the time is right. Its an ethical harvest and hunt. Not a slaughter of "thunder chickens" while bragging about your skill as a turkey hunter. Just not for me.

Same here!

dhsnke

Never. I had a chance a couple of years ago. I was by myself and no one would have known. When he flew down he sailed across a holler and I never got a shot. Felt pretty good driving home that day. I killed him 2 days later.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Had a opportunity one time setting up under the bird on public land before daylight. Watched him do his thing on the limb as he flew down on the other ridge. I called and he gobbled going away. Never regretted that decision.

albrown100

Could have shot one , one time off the roost but didnt. We slipped in on him about 100 yrds from where we knew he had been roosting , but he was in a tree between my buddy and I when he blasted off right above us. He flew down behind us and gobbled off in other direction with another hen. Yea I had nightmares about that one !! Did wind up calling him in and killing him the next week. Just didnt seem right to shoot him out the tree. But to each his own :shoot:

swamppirate

I would not smoke one off the roost, but......I would smoke on the water......

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 348

shootemall

I fired a guy on a job in VA for shooting one on the roost with a bow. The rest of the story is the arrow pierced a roof of a tractor with an operator in it.

Guy said he was hungry. I gave him $20 for mickey D's and told him to haul tail out of there..

McDonald's must be expensive in VA if it cost $20 for one person. :offtopic: ::ke:

The mtn man

I will admit that I shot one out of a tree once, it was mid morning, had been chasing him since fly down, he finally committed to my call, he came in kind of nervous acting to about 30 yards, but I couldn't get a clear shot, he stood and clucked for a couple minutes when he couldn't find the hen that was calling, then for whatever reason he flew up into a whitepine about 20 yards straight in front of me, I figured he was trying to get a better view so he could find the hen, it was kind of a thick area, well I rolled him out of that whitepine and didn't think twice about it. Another occasion I killed one on the wing, it was about a 15-20 yard shot, when I came around a logging road on a steep ridge, I stopped to call, he gobbled one time about 200 yards in front of me, I figured he was in the same logging road I was in. I just sat down and leaned up against the road bank. I called again, but he never answered again. I had my gun up the whole time because I couldn't see past the curve more than 25 yards, about 10 minutes later he came walking around the curve looking and limping on one leg, he stopped and clicked, before I could flip the safety off he flushed to the left, and I shot, he was dead before he hit the ground, so ethical or not, I worked them, and they died, success I say.

Latest posts