Rayonier land sold to Weyerhauser?

Confederate_Jay

Anybody heard anything about Weyerhauser purchasing A large chunk of Rayonier land?
Rayonier bought a bunch of Legacy land this time last year
And I keep hearing from multiple sources that Weyerhauser has bought or is buying a large chunk of Rayonier. My Rayonier guy says it's just rumor.

Mako22

BANNED
I doubt it as Weyehauser just sold off 20,000 acres of its Georgia land to Twin Creeks. After the merge with Plum Creek I would think they would be downsizing some and not adding more land.

westcobbdog

land is like stock trading to these big holders, they are Buyers and Sellers, sometimes both. Nearly all their land is always out there on the market for sale at a price.

nmurph

land is like stock trading to these big holders, they are Buyers and Sellers, sometimes both. Nearly all their land is always out there on the market for sale at a price.

^^THIS^^

I have a close friend that is a forester for a large land management/investment company (you would know the name). I hear stories every year about tracts (tens to hundreds of thousands of acres) that his company is buying or selling from other companies.

Jeff Raines

Weyerhauser bought our lease in Hancock County,gave us a bunch of fancy signs with their name on it to post on property lines,then sold the property the next year.

PappyHoel

I'm not sure how true but forestar did sell the majority of their property in NE Ga. The new company turned around and sold the majority of that to private holders. Our club got gobbled up in a very very large land purchase from a private individual.

Maybe some of you foresters can quash a rumor I heard. I was told that the market bottomed and they are looking to dump all Timber properties in Ga. or the majority.

shdw633

I'm not sure how true but forestar did sell the majority of their property in NE Ga. The new company turned around and sold the majority of that to private holders. Our club got gobbled up in a very very large land purchase from a private individual.

Maybe some of you foresters can quash a rumor I heard. I was told that the market bottomed and they are looking to dump all Timber properties in Ga. or the majority.

That's odd, everything I read indicated that the lumber industry had a banner year and is expected to climb even higher this year. Now that is the industry as a whole, but the new home market and construction is booming in Florida right now with no real signs of slowing down so I have a hard time believing that the market has bottomed out.

nmurph

That's odd, everything I read indicated that the lumber industry had a banner year and is expected to climb even higher this year. Now that is the industry as a whole, but the new home market and construction is booming in Florida right now with no real signs of slowing down so I have a hard time believing that the market has bottomed out.

This is pretty much what I get from my forester buddy.

These holding companies have to buy and sell to shelter and grow money and to have assets available when the investment funds require liquidity to meet obligations or to buy other tracts they perceive as being a better fiduciary option.

PappyHoel

I was told late last year that it was costing them more to log it than they were getting per ton.

Down4Count

I spoke with a forester for our lease, he told me off the record if you have timber property anywhere in GA it will change hands within 3-5 years.

PappyHoel

I spoke with a forester for our lease, he told me off the record if you have timber property anywhere in GA it will change hands within 3-5 years.

Similar to what I heard, but it was framed in divesting their interests in Ga due to prices. Timber is very speculative anyway.