Your All-Time Favorite "Honey-Hole" Stand....

Label Dawg

Ever had that one special stand that just keeps on producing good bucks?
What made it such a special place....terrain...bottleneck, etc....

Mine was "The Horseshoe"...a mature hardwood hillside jutting 150 yards into 8-10 yr. old planted pines. Probably no more than 80 yards wide. This stand proved deer are lazy in nature. Instead of walking all the way to the point to remain in the pines they would "pop out" and cut the corner across the fairly open hillside. I killed three nice 8 pts and one 10pt from this stand.

How about your "honey-hole" stand?

Buford_Dawg

Yep, had one years ago

I had a stand very similar to what you describe, small hardwood area sandwiched in between 3 thick pine areas. I killed a buck in that stand for 7 straight opening mornings and generally between me, my dad, and uncle we would harvest 3 or 4 bucks and several does a year from that stand for about 12 years. Unfortunately, the landowner passed away and the family took over and sold it.

Hunting Teacher

I got a double lock-on in a big bottom that I save for my daughters and me. We've seen some decent bucks out of it but you're just about gauranteed to see a couple of big nanny does. That means they are gonna have a chance to shoot something almost every time we're there. Right now for me that's what it's all about!!! :clap: If one of my daughters gets to shoot a deer I'll give up the whole year in all of my buck honey holes.
Teach

Handgunner

I put up a stand near the beginning of last year. It was a secluded field on the backside of my great uncle property. No one hunted there, but to me, it just screamed "deer". My wife took her best buck to date from that stand opening day, and the next day I took my biggest buck ever from it. The rest of the season provided me with 6 more deer from that stand, and seeing many more.

Everyone else calls it "The Glory Hole". I agree. It's been good to me as has my uncle for letting me call it "mine". :D

Randy

Mine is still producing. I really don't know why they are there. It is in an area of grown up pines about 10 years old. The pines are pretty thick but this one area opens up so I can see about 40 yards. I have to sit on the ground in a blind though as there are no trees big enough adn it is too thick for a tree stand. If you walked in there right now you would find no sign but come cold weather they just filter through this little area. I don't know why they are there but I know why I am!

Jeff Phillips

I had a tree on my club in Taliferro Cty. that produced a buck 7 out of 10 opening days. I don't know how many does and other buks were killed of that 1 big pine.

It was next to a deep gulley over a thick area of blackberry briars with a few persimmon trees across the thicket. There was another deep gulley that ran at a right angle to the 1 I was hunting making a great funnel. I would bush hog a couple of trails through the briars and open a 1/2 acre circle about 80 yards out from the tree. I always hit the opening with some fertilizer to encourage what ever was already there to grow.

That tree is plywood now, but we just put a food plot close to the funnel and I am going to put a buddy stand in there for Tater Tot and me :D

Woody's Janitor

Woody Has It Now!!!!

Mine was a stand of mature pines surrounded by jungle growth in the swamp at Walkinshaw Hunting Club. I got to see more deer behavior in that stand of pines in 8 years than anywhere else I have ever hunted put together. I saw 18 different bucks pass through it last season and a few where regulars. I have seen them spar, fight, and breed. I have seen some funny reactions to doe-in heat lures from some bucks. They reminded you of some dogs. I had a doe to scratch her head on the steps of my ladder stand. Thank God Woodrow has claimed that spot when I got out and I even left my stand there for him and he promised not to let any gas slip out on it!!! Good Luck Woodrow! :clap:
I did get a nice 8 pt. with 10 inch G-2's from that spot opening evening of last year.

livetohunt

Old thread! All of my very best spots have one thing in common. I could get into the stand without alerting any deer at all.