Daniel Defense on Hard Times

TheLandlord

This really sucks. Daniel Defense makes one of the best ARs out there, and they're experiencing contraction.

I'd been putting off upgrading my RIS, but I may have to go ahead and get crackin'.

http://savannahnow.com//node/759878

gtparts

Sorry to hear this, but if he is "on top of things", Marty is probably taking the right actions to come out stronger than the "big guys" who are generally slower to adjust to market changes.

Here's hoping that fluctuations stabilize quickly for that market.

TheLandlord

I'm just disappointed to see this. Quality AR makers are few and far between, and a quiet voice among the roar of low-tier manufacturers.

To see this story totally bums me out.

cmshoot

Sounds like when the buying craze was up, folks like DD and others hired additional employees and went into overdrive. Now that it's died back down, they've got more employees than they need.

I've got a DD M4 and can't recommend them enough. An outstanding carbine for the price.

johnpauljones

Daniel Defense rifles are overpriced.

treemanjohn

Banned
"Quality" or "boutique" AR's (put loosely) have gone so high in price it amazes me how many people blow their hard earned money on them.

2 Bushmasters or DPMS's or 1 Daniel Defense. The choice is easy for me. I prefer 1 in each hand

TheLandlord

You tell me where I can get a DPMS or a Bushmaster, with the same features for this price, and I'll buy one.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=XV-M4

I was under the impression that all AR-15s were created equal. They're not.

DPMS and Bushmaster are so far from meeting mil-spec as to almost be laughable.

My Bushmaster needed fixing straight out of the box.

$900+ for a Bushmaster
$1100+ for a DD.

Considering the DD doesn't need "fixed" out of the box, for a measly $200 more doesn't really show me how buying a DD would allow you to get a DPMS for each hand.

It really boils down to the "why" we get what we choose to get.

My Bushmaster was $1400, and I'd trade it for the DDXV in the blink of an eye. Instantaneously.

Daniel Defense rifles are solid, built here in Georgia, and are a top-tier company.

Buying DD allows one to:

1) Get as high-quality a weapon as possible
2) Give your hard earned cash to Georgia boys.

After having problematic issues with low-tier blasters, I will henceforth be shelling out cash for quality.

Don't even get me started on out-of-spec rail systems.

STRYCNINE

"Quality" or "boutique" AR's (put loosely) have gone so high in price it amazes me how many people blow their hard earned money on them.

2 Bushmasters or DPMS's or 1 Daniel Defense. The choice is easy for me. I prefer 1 in each hand

Can you get two Bushmasters or DPMS rifles for $999.00? If you can please back it up with proof.
Captureddxv.jpg

People wouldn't "blow" their money on them if they didn't want to. Some people want quaility and some want ???.....YMMV.

cmshoot

I looked at taking my Armalite and decking it out very similar to how the DD came straight out of the box. When I priced out a Daniel Defense 12.0 FSP rail (not some cheapie $100 piece of junk, thank you) plus the MagPul stock, VFG, BUIS and all, added to the price of an Armalite M4, I came out better buying a DD.

Plus, I had the added benefit of supporting a Georgia company. Like folks said, they're top tier. For instance, they just received the contract to provide quad rails and other accessories for all the British Military SA85's. I don't see DPMS and Bushmaster getting contracts like that.

I can buy 2 Impalas or 1 Corvette.............hard decision.............

I've used M16's and AR variants my entire adult life; first as a US Marine, then as a SWAT Officer, and now as a competitor and owner/operator of a Firearms/Tactics Training School. I'm an Armorer and Small Arms Instructor through the USMC, Georgia POST and the Feds. I've seen just about every make/model/variant of AR/M16 come through my doors. I know what works and what doesn't. I've regretted a lot of things in my life, but plunking down the money on my DD M4 ain't one of 'em!

TheLandlord

The M4 is one of the sexiest guns I've ever seen.

I seriously like how the rail extension past the FSB allows for mounting a light at 12:00, without obstructing the sight.

I absolutely need to get an Omega like, yesterday.

Last edited:

cmshoot

Here's pics of mine. Guess I screwed up by getting an Aimpoint Micro T1 in a GG&G mount. I could have bought 8 or 10 Airsoft copies of an Aimpoint instead.

Attachments

• DDM4a1.jpg
    DDM4a1.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 3,254
  • DDM4b1.jpg
    DDM4b1.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 3,451

TheLandlord

Gorgeous weapon, good sir.

How do you like the T-1?

I'm currently debating the T-1 and the Trijicon RMR.

Everyone's nudging me in the direction of the T-1. I'm being terribly, terribly stubborn. Trijicon was my first "real" optic. I had an RX01 w/triangle reticule years ago, and loved it. I had another RX01, that I sold to get an RMR, but everyone I've talked to has recommended the T-1.

Then again, instead of the T-1, I could just get a Olympic Arms.

:stir:

Did you get the T-1 locally?

STRYCNINE

Here's pics of mine. Guess I screwed up by getting an Aimpoint Micro T1 in a GG&G mount. I could have bought 8 or 10 Airsoft copies of an Aimpoint instead.

Nice setup!

I think you're correct..............you could have saved a lot if you would've went with the airsoft junk!:rolleyes:

Just to :stir: I'll leave this Daniel Defense goodness for the haters.
001-1.jpg

Last edited:

windermike

DD offers great guns are fair prices if I had the coin I would own one. I will own one before the end of the year. Allready have a fund started.

cmshoot

TheLandlord, so far I really like the T1. I wanted something small, rugged and reliable, so this fit the bill. The only reason I was steering away from them was I didn't like the available mounts and the lack of ability to mount scope covers on it. The GG&G mount solved both those problems nicely. I wouldn't have bought the T1 if it were not for the GG&G mount.

The Trijicons are nice, as well. I've never owned one, but I've had students come through with 'em. No problems.

TheLandlord

Roger that.

For me it's a doggone tough call either way.

I think the T-1's the cat's pajamas.

I think the RMR is the cat's pajamas.

I've never had any Aimpoint stuff, but I've used Trijicon and EOTech in the past.

I'm trying to remain patient, as both seem to have their appeal. The Trijicon's appeal is, if resupply is a problem, the lack of battery-power ensures the longevity. The downside is the potential for reticule washout, and a 9-MOA dot.

The Aimpoint is very appealing for the battery life measured in years, 4-MOA dot, ruggedness, and available mounts.

Again, a tough call for yours truly.

:banginghe