2018 Injun Joe Memorial Fly Swap

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Last year we lost a good friend while he was doing what he loved, flyfishing. Brent loved a good swap and joined every one I ever hosted, I believe. This swap is dedicated to his memory. Sign up will be until Feb 1st at which time the swap will close and the tyin begins. I will list participant user names in this post as each joins.

This swap will be themed as your go to winter time nymph.
Here are the rules.
Each participant will tie one fly for each other participant. In essence, if there are a total of ten members, you will tie nine flies of the same pattern.

Each fly should be toe tagged. Toe tags are little slips of paper with user name and pattern name attached bt the hook.

All flies will be mailed to me, the host, by March 15th. At that time I will sort the flies and mail them back to you. You should receive nine different flies back.

Each package mailed to me will be mailed in a durable box or padded mailer. It must contain a pre-addressed postage paid mailer to ship the sorted flies back to you. I should not have to pay for your postage.

The flies are usually mailed in a crush proof container like an Altoid tin. But being this is a nymph swap, this is less important than it would be if it was for dry flies.

Flies received after deadline will be mailed back to you. I am usually flexible and will extend the deadline if someone is struggling with time. If you must drop out please notify me by PM and I will tie replacement flies. That said, please commit some time to complete your tying if you decide to join this swap.

When you are ready to mail, PM me for my address.

When I receive your flies, I will photograph one and post a picture here. I will also place a "received" by your name in this first post.

Fly swaps are for any Woody's member regardless of tying experience. It is a great way to practice tying and no one will make light of your flies. Just remember, ugly flies catch fish and all of mine are ugly! :D

If you have any questions, PM me or post it up.

Now who is in?

1.Paymaster Received
2.Biggin13 Received
3.EverGreen1231 Withdrawn
4.Michael F. Sights Received
5.Northgeorgiasportsman Received
6.NCHillbilly Received
7.Killer Kyle Received
8.BishopBullwinkle Received
9.Tomboy Boots Received
10.Sasmojoe (Received)

Last edited:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
So we can tie any winter nymph we want? Do we need to say what we are going to tie or just let it be a surprise?

You can tie any nymph you want and you can announce the pattern if you want as well. You want in?:cheers:

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
I'm in! I'm totally new to this but I'm a fast learner with an excellent teacher :)

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I'm in! I'm totally new to this but I'm a fast learner with an excellent teacher :)

Awesome!!! Welcome!!! That reminds me. I owe you some flies Lady!!!!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Good deal!!!!

Killer Kyle

Been at the vise the last couple days tying for the swap and for myself. Looking forward to the swap guys and gals!

11s03km.png

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
No pics from my tyin area! It is a wreck!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
No pics from my tyin area! It is a wreck!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Ha! My tying area had to be reclaimed from my daughter. She had laid claim to it as her homework area. She claims it's the only place she can get peace and quiet. Why do you think I like to tie there???

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm tying a pattern I came up with myself about thirty years ago that I've caught probably thousands or tens of thousands of trout on over the years.

Killer Kyle

I'm going to roll up some powerbait doughballs on a bait holder hook, let 'em dry hard, and submit those for the flyswap. Gonna call it the "Buckman Egg Special", or maybe the Buckman Skunk Buster".

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I'm going to roll up some powerbait doughballs on a bait holder hook, let 'em dry hard, and submit those for the flyswap. Gonna call it the "Buckman Egg Special", or maybe the Buckman Skunk Buster".

I've tied some multi-colored eggs that look remarkably like powerbait...

Killer Kyle

I've tied some multi-colored eggs that look remarkably like powerbait...

Hey, I say "never fosake the egg!" That fly has been popular for such a long time for a reason! I remember a day when I was on the Soque a few years back. I just could not seem to buy a bite. As dusk approached, I tied on a soft orange Otter's Egg behind my mohair leech, and proceeded to wear them out. All stocker browns. They all ate that egg behind the leech. That day, I became a believer in Otter's Eggs. Only thing is that they slide around on the hook too easily, even if you try to glue them. They often end up sliding back and crowding or closing the hook gap, and can cause you a lot of grief.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Don't forget to soak 'em in essential oil before you mold 'em. :bounce: