Where to camp?

biged156

We had originally planned to camp in the Clayton area this week. But with the rain we are looking at different options. Anyone have suggestions on North West area of the state or even in the Chattanooga area? Are plans are to throw hammocks but be close enough to the truck due to a buddy with a broke foot. So hiking in isn’t an option. Being on a creek would be a plus

Artfuldodger

I looked at the weather all over and it looks like rain in the west as well. Are you looking for primitive or a place with electricity?

One option I was thinking of is one of those covered platform campsites at Victoria Bryant SP. That's pretty close to Athens. It is a 300 ft walk from your vehicle. I think they got one left.

I also wonder if you could hang a few hammocks under one of those sites. I'm assuming ya'll have rain flys but a nice big covered area would be nice.

State Parks are kinda iffy on camping say around a site instead of staying on the designated tent pitching spot.

Primitive areas such as National Forest campgrounds, not so much.

So if you go plan on taking a dining canopy far all to gather under next weekend.

biged156

Thanks! We are going today thru Friday Looked at Cloudland Canyon weather looks better for those days. Anyone know if you can hammock camp there?

Oldstick

Thanks! We are going today thru Friday Looked at Cloudland Canyon weather looks better for those days. Anyone know if you can hammock camp there?

I am pretty sure they have some walk-in tent camping areas, but don't hold me to that.

greg_n_clayton

We use to stay there all the time, but it flooded in a bad storm one year, washed the main bridge away, wasn't the same after that.

What bridge you speaking of ?? The road bridge ?? It has been replaced, Joy Bridge it is called.

walters

Yep

Yea the whole road bridge washed away and tore camp ground up bad, had a privacy wall of sugar cane back then, changed alot

Artfuldodger

I see a lot of bamboo for privacy. The place looks pretty cool in a retro kind of way.
The "river" doesn't look very scenic in that stretch. I wonder how the traffic noise on 441 would be at night? It looks pretty close to the highway.

greg_n_clayton

I see a lot of bamboo for privacy. The place looks pretty cool in a retro kind of way.
The "river" doesn't look very scenic in that stretch. I wonder how the traffic noise on 441 would be at night? It looks pretty close to the highway.

Yes, it is close. They been catering to the gorge release folks that kayak and raft it during releases. They have been known to have bands and such across the road (Joy Bridge Road).