6wt rod

Squirrel29

I have pfluger summit 8' 6wt fly rod I bought several years ago. Would it be best to pan and bass fish with it or could I trout fish with it as well. Planning on getting me some weight forward line today. Any help would be great, Thanks.

Mojo^

I fished a 6wt and 4wt on Friday and Saturday hoping that the crappie and bream would have started biting. No crappie but I caught a lot of smallish bream. The 6wt was just too much rod for these guys. Don't get me wrong, you can catch pan fish on a 6wt (I caught a dozen) but it isn't much of a challenge. The 4wt was a lot more fun.

Georgia Hard Hunter

I use a SAGE 6wt for streamer fishing on bigger trout rivers, I've got 2 spools on with weight forward and the other with sink tip. I also will use it for nymph fishing on big rivers, I like to use heavy anchor flies and a small dropper so lots of weight. I have used it for small nymphs and dry flies. If its a quality rod it will handle all types of fishing, I've got 2 4wts that I use for everything else.

MadDawg51

I haven't hooked any state records. But, a 4 wt has been plenty for the trout I've hooked. I've been thinking of moving sown to a 2 wt - or a piece of thread - to "match the catch":banginghe. I wish some of you would stop fishing and leave the monster 12" bows to me.

6 wt - I could probably go tarpon fishing with that.:huh:

Tightliner

I have pfluger summit 8' 6wt fly rod I bought several years ago. Would it be best to pan and bass fish with it or could I trout fish with it as well. Planning on getting me some weight forward line today. Any help would be great, Thanks.

Remember..... The second most important part of a set-up is your line. A few extra $ for a good line can make all the difference in the world, dont skimp on line if you are serious bout fly casting.

Again, JMHO

Later.........................................................

fishndoc

Sounds like the 4wt would be a good all around fly rod.
No such thing as "a good all around" fly rod - sort of like suggesting to a golfer he only needs one club.

Although a 6 wt is a little stout for trout, it will do, and is perfect for crappie and small bass. As already mentioned, I would get a good fly line and start fishing with it.
If you see fly fishing is for you, then you can get that 4 wt (to be followed by a 5 wt for big water, then of course the 3 wt for wild trout small streams, then the 7 wt for throwing streamers to big browns and shoal bass, then the 10 wt when one of your 7 wt streamers is grabbed by a river striper and almost pulls the rod out of your hand...

it never ends.
:)

yaknfish

fishndoc speaks the truth.

My 8wt showed up today. I had a 7. I had a 9. Didn't have an 8.

Do now, tho.

Squirrel29

I see what your saying fishndoc. Different situations and different species of fish and fish size all matter when choosing what rod to take. Think I will load my 6wt up with good line get me some bass poppers and try that when I am at the lake bass fishing.

Hunt&Fish

I use a 10 ft 6 wt for trout on the Cumberland River below Wolf Creek Dam in Ky. You're apt to hook a 20 incher there and a 6 wt is nice when you do. The 10 ft length makes it a little easier to mend your line. This is also my rig for drifting the Hooch and indicator fishing or streamer fishing although it is more rod than you need for most fish there.

Squirrel29

Well, far as trout in my area the only public water where you are likely to catch one that size is the Soque just past the old dip on hwy 197. I have never fly fished, so I want to learn to cast first. My plan is to learn fishing for bass or panfish in a boat so I do not have to worry about getting hung in trees on my backcast. Then when I learn to cast and see I like fly fishing I want to buy me a 3 or 4 wt for trout.

fishinbub

I use a 9' 6wt bamboo rod that was my grandfather's....he used it for everything...I mean everything. I have gone up and down in weight, but always come back to the 6wt when I can only bring one rod. I've fished Alaska, Montana, Argentina, and many other places with the 6wt....yes, it is a little big for really small fisheries....but I've made it work.

Yep. IMHO a 6wt is a good all around rod for Ga. Enough backbone for tossing some bass flies, light enough for dries (my go to trout rod is a 7' 6" 6wt cane rod), and perfect for chunking weighted nymph rigs.

BUT, you'll soon want an 8wt for bass flies, a 3wt for dries, a 5wt for nymphs, and a 7wt for streamers. Then comes the little 6' 2wt cane rods for small streams, and the 12wt rods for tarpon, and the 10ft rods for euro nymphing, and...:D

MadDawg51

Then, you pick the right rod/line combo for the kayak float, paddle a mile upriver with the 8' 4 wt, drop the drag chain, the current holds you too far off the rock ledge, the wind picks up - and you have the wrong rod/line for the conditions. Then, you learn to use what you have in the boat.

Flyfishing - it is a frustrating and rewarding experience. But, it is far more enjoyable than golf - a simply frustrating experience.