Curious, how often do you remount your scope

Buford_Dawg

on your hunting rifle(s)? It is necessary? I generallly make sure my mount screws are tight each season and then go shoot the gun to verify it is still sighted in several weeks before the deer season begins. But this season, both my 243 and 270 were off about 3 inches and 5 inches respectively. Most years both guns are still sighted in, but for some reason this year both were off somewhat. The scopes and mounts have been on these guns for over 10 years, was curious if the base mount screws would ever come loose eventually.

H

HT2

Buford......

Well I "zero" in my rifle every year like everybody else, but I don't remount it.....

It's usually pretty close to on........

I've had to adjust it ever so slightly every year...... :)

QuakerBoy

Just a thought,

but I would think that removing the parts to remove and remount a scope would cause more wear on the screws and the rings than just shooting the gun ever will.

I like to use loc tite when I put my scope on the gun. That way it should not get loose unless you want it to come loose.

I would still check for tightness each year.

Handgunner

I don't. I verify the rifle every year for POA, but I don't take it off and remount it.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

CAL

I don't remount a scope unless I change one out.I have never had but one rifle that held it's zero and never needed adjusting.It was a first model Ruger with Redfield mounts and a 3-9 Redfield Tracker scope.Like all really good things it was stolen and never recovered.Only rifle I have ever lost,had to be the best one at the time.Taken out of my jeep in my yard!

stumpman

Banned
Cal i had a 270 rem ss model700 with a 50mm leupold scope about 12 yrs oldthat gun never lost zero it rode in trucks and on 4 wheelers and got used a lot and never got off until i finally took it off and put the scope on my lil boys rifle and hope fully it will stay the same for him all the others seem to get bumped or something and need to be re sighted from time to time but never remounted.

Larry Rooks

I see no need to remove and remount a scope unless the scope has gone bad or you replace it with a better model. I had have scope on guns for 20 years and nevr had to remount them. Just check the zero from time to time, I do each year just before gun season comes in and that's it. OR, if you cahnge ammo, check and make sure it hits the same with them as it did you other brand, and it is doubtful that it will

CAL

Stump,
Maybe it will for your son,I hope it does anyway.I have been dealing with rifles all my days and can most times determine what a problem is but these scopes moving on their own gets me!I put them in the safe and when they are gotten out and shot they have to be moved a click or so to be corrected.I think maybe hauling them in the truck continuously might have an effect on their zero.

Handgunner

Nothing makes me shake my head more than seeing someone toss a scoped rifle behind the seat of a truck, bounce all over town with it, back and forth to work with it, up and down the hunting club, and then complain and wonder why it's "off"... :confused:

I can understand the laying on in the seat going to the stand and back to the house, but it's behind the seats that get me...

It doesn't take much to knock a scope off zero. Which is why I try and not loan my rifles out. And if I do, explain to them "If you bump it, LET ME KNOW, don't think I'll be mad and say "thanks for letting me use your gun", when you know you bumped it... I'd rather know, and resight it in, than to think all is OK and find out differently after sitting in a deerstand for 3 hours.

CAL

I agree with you Delton,as most of my friends do just as you said.I keep mine between me and the passenger on the hump with the barrel pointed down.Most of the time I have something put over it to protect it from dirt and dust.

I never loan my guns out to anyone!My firearms didn't come real easy.I had to work for each of them and most times save.I am too particular with my guns about scratches,rust and not being taken care off to my satisfaction.

stumpman

Banned
I dont blame you cal i dont loan my rifles out i loaned a shotgun out once and got it back all rusted up i ride my rifles on the center console with the barrel down in the floor.

huntfish

Loctight

I use loctight always and always mount my own bases and scopes. A boresighter is cheap and comes in handy while traveling. Annual sighting in usually involves three shots per rifle. Do it right the first time, take care as previously mentioned, the scope usually stays on line. I always use a hard case when transporting my guns.

Also should consider the scope, some move around with a slight bump. I have an older Leupold on my 243 that had the long bell beyond the lens. I fell while crossing a river in Alaska which collapsed the top portion of the bell just enough that I could only see the cross hairs. The scope stayed on zero. That same scope is still on my 243 although the Leopold reps have offered to replace it with a better scope. Guess what scope will always be on my guns.

camper

If a quality scope base and ring set is used it will last you a lifetime. I have had the same pistol rings and bases on my 375 JDJ T/C barrel for over 20 years and the pistol is still accurate. The base has 6 screws to hold it down to the barrel and the 3 rings keep the scope secure on the base. I cleaned the metal parts and used a few drops of blue loc-tite on each piece that touched. I even put a small drop on the screws to hold them down. Do not use the red loc-tite.

I see some people with high-rise mounts on their rifles that use them as a handle. They wonder why their rifle will not shoot straight.

Also, I have found that the gun boots that everybody seems to be using on their 4-wheelers will bend the front bell of your scope. I had two scopes to get bent so I sold my case. I now use one of the front bar racks and keep the gun in a soft case.

bevills1

About 3 years ago I had a 7MM STW Remington 700 that was shooting 4 inches right. All screws were checked and found to be secure, and the rfile's not been off since resighted. This was the first instance in some 30 years rifle experience I found a rifle to be off, and I have no explanation or reason for it. I see no reason to remount unless scope is found to be insecure, but this demonstrates importance of checking zero every season before hunting.