what would kill a chipmunk

little rascal

(actually found 2) and leave the carcass'? Look's like both their nose area was chewed off and a hole into the abdomen on both, but whole body intact, full grown size, just no skin. Whatever it was did a better skinning job than I could do.
We actually have a fox that visit's at night, saw him on top of the wood swing in the yard the other night. He jumped across the fence and looked at me in the porch with the dog's at my feet (he couldn't see the dogs), then he jumped back over the fence into the yard and ran across the yard down to the back corner and over the fence there.
We also have owls, hear them at night and dawn all the time. Lastly we have hawk's because we have feeders and lot's of squirrels.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Sounds like you might have a weasel around.

little rascal

Nic,

funny you say that. I pondered that because, we had duck's coming up dead years ago, and they were only missing thier head and neck. I was told back then that it could be a weasel? I have never seen a weasel or mink around here, but I suppose that don't mean there couldn't be some here? Just wondering if something doing this had a litter and is feeding them the most fatty parts?
Kinda like the bear that strips a salmon for the fatty skin and leaves the meat laying.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
funny you say that. I pondered that because, we had duck's coming up dead years ago, and they were only missing thier head and neck. I was told back then that it could be a weasel? I have never seen a weasel or mink around here, but I suppose that don't mean there couldn't be some here? Just wondering if something doing this had a litter and is feeding them the most fatty parts?
Kinda like the bear that strips a salmon for the fatty skin and leaves the meat laying.

I`ve only seen one weasel in the wild, in my life. And less than half a dozen mink, unless I had caught them in a trap. They`re here though.

Whiteeagle

Could also be feral Ferrets. Someone turned several loose down here a few years back and the formed a pretty healthy group until we finally caught and disposed of them. Caught them in a live trap using white mice for bait.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a weasel, for sure. If you have those least weasels down there, they're tiny little fellers, look like a mouse stretched out to about four mouses long and with a mouthful of sharp teeth installed. They'll do exactly what you described, they'll even kill stuff as big as rabbits.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I`ve only seen one weasel in the wild, in my life. And less than half a dozen mink, unless I had caught them in a trap. They`re here though.

Same here, only seen one mink real good (away from coast) that wasn't in a trap and a couple of weasels in the smokie mountains that weren't in a trap. (Have seen mink on the coast though when fishing).

bamaboy

Yep I agree with NIC weasels!