why farmers wont give permission

GeorgiaGlockMan

OP, I feel your pain.

Almost every time I give someone I dont know well permission to hunt my place, I regret it.

Last edited:

redlevel

I gave a young fellow permission to hunt my place. Said clearly, call me first. He called me once, and then I find out that he was in there almost every other day and was all over the neighbors properties. Then the next week a bunch of dog hunters were caught hunting the properties and had even cut the locks to get in . NO MORE PERMISSION. If you aint family or friend don't even bother to ask.

Just another greedy landowner who doesn't want to share.
When Bernie gets elected, everyone can hunt for free.
You'll learn to share with those folks who deserve a free
place to hunt.

RogerH

I hate hearing that since I rely on people like you to let me hunt hogs on their land. You are right down the road from me, too bad it wasn't me you let hunt there. We would both still be happy. If you get over run with pigs look me up. I even have an extra night vision set up.

RogerH

No sir, I'm not even sure what/who that is. I have a few friends from church and in town that call when they have things tearing up their land.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Here's an old one related to this topic:

The high school football coach and his assistant are out hunting pheasants after the end of the season. The team finished 2-7 and there's talk around town about finding new coaches. The coach tells his assistant that he's going to ask for permission at the Miller place. "Miller's on the school board. He's always been pretty straight with me. Maybe I can get some idea of whether we need to be looking for a job," he tells the assistant. "Just wait for me in the pickup."

Miller answers the door and they chat for a few minutes. "You're welcome to hunt any time," he says. "And don't you worry about your job. The board's behind you 100%. You flat didn't have the horses this season." The coach thanks the farmer. "But I do have a favor to ask you," he tells the coach. "There's an old horse out behind the barn. He's on his last legs, but I just can't bring myself to put him down. Would you shoot him for me?" Coach agrees . . . and the wheels begin to turn as he returns to his pickup.

"Well?" asks the assistant. "Yeah, we can hunt . . . but it's the last time, and Miller says we're both out of work next year. Boy, I'd like to get that jerk." About that time, they round the corner of the barn. "I'll fix him!" says the coach, and shoots the horse. At which point he hears shots from his assistant's gun. "I got two of his cows! Let's get the Dickens out of here!"

mose

^^^ Jerry Clower told it better, but good effort.

For as hard as it is to secure places to hunt especially if not talking with money. It truly leaves me almost speechless that it's hard for someone to respect a landowner and the stated rules. I have treated every piece of property that I've hunted on as if it is a blessing and absolutely followed all rules to a T. Some people are plain just dumb and definitely have made it harder than ever on the sportsman left.

Swissbow

Wow, I don't blame you at all. It really gets me upset how some show no respect for the property owners land and rules. Specially since I've been looking for some land to hunt hog for a long time. I guess teaching and having respect these days is the same as common sense, a lost art.

I've been dog hunting for over 12 years. I learned from the beginning from the guys that got me into dog hunting that if you respect the landowners, they'll respect you. Dog hunters get a bad name because there are so many that don't care about respect. I believe respect is a big deal and think very highly of my name and do everything possible to keep it honest. I now have 1000s of acres to hunt because of the respect i show for the landowners/ lease holders. When i am on their property, i treat it as if it were mine. No littering, no tearing up property, i watch out after the land for trespassers or unwanted guest and inform the landowner if there is any. RESPECT is what is missing nowadays.

Cleankill47

I hate hearing things like this. It's those kinds of people who make everything harder than it should be for the average guy. I don't own a 4-wheeler, dirt bike, or anything else that tears up property. I don't take trash in with me, pick it up if I find it, check fences, close gates, and try to keep a count of animals when I see them. All I bring in with me is a daypack and shotgun, rifle, or bow, and even getting permission to hunt something as simple as rabbits is difficult to the point of almost not being worth it.

Sorry to hear about all the bad experiences. Nobody should have to worry about whether or not hunters will take care of the land they hunt. If more folks raised woodsmen this wouldn't be such a problem.

Big7

The Oracle
Makes absolutely perfect sense to me. Sorry your kindness was abused like it was.

Been there, done that..

My Dad and Uncle still own what was my Grandparents
working farm.

It's loaded down with everything except hogs..

They are both to old to get out there much and neither is
really combative.

I'm just the opposite.

Have to go over there and jerk stands down
with my truck now and then.

Left a note on a truck a few times
(I knew who it was)

And... He knew it was me that bashed in all his windows and cut his tires.. (no joke)

He ain't been back since. ;)