Springtime pickerel baits.

61BelAir

Haven't been yet to my spot for them, but a paddle tail fluke or spinnerbait is my go-to lure for jacks.

Bream Pole

Bomber long A or spinner bait with red skirt. Have several vintage pflueger Palomines that are good also and like vintage rebel silver with black back 5 1/2 inch minnow lure.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Colorado safety pin spinner with long thin porkrind trailer, red and white spoon,live two finger bream

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Showing my age here, but I`ve caught more on a red and white dare devil spoon, a yellow Shyster, and a bare hook with either a strip of red flannel or white side salt pork.

Not only jack but redfin pike too.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Showing my age here, but I`ve caught more on a red and white dare devil spoon, a yellow Shyster, and a bare hook with either a strip of red flannel or white side salt pork.

Not only jack but redfin pike too.

I haven't seen a Shyster in a coon's age. I have caught a heap of fish on them through the years. Jacks would tear the up.

Bream Pole

I assumed you were asking about chain pickerel (jack). Lures I suggested are too large for red fin pike. That vintage rebel 5.5" minnow sure best I ever used on bass or pickerel. Second was spinner bait with gold Colorado blades and skirt with red in it. Slaughtered the bass in Kitchafonee (sp?) creek outside of Albany years ago with the rebel. We were paddling up stream in a canoe and would take turns fishing every other sandbar and cut lure off and hand it to who would be fishing next. In the semi clear water could sometimes see two or three bass chasing it. All were 2.5-3.5 lbs. Count was somewhere between 25-30 bass.

Used to slaughter the jack in Hugh's Old River lake in Long County with the spinner bait after catching all we wanted of pan fish on crickets; and when I would wade Ten Mile Creek in Appling Co, years ago would do well on the rebel with the jack and also bass. Quit that wading of the creek business because of the Cotton Mouths.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I assumed you were asking about chain pickerel (jack). Lures I suggested are too large for red fin pike. That vintage rebel 5.5" minnow sure best I ever used on bass or pickerel. Second was spinner bait with gold Colorado blades and skirt with red in it. Slaughtered the bass in Kitchafonee (sp?) creek outside of Albany years ago with the rebel. We were paddling up stream in a canoe and would take turns fishing every other sandbar and cut lure off and hand it to who would be fishing next. In the semi clear water could sometimes see two or three bass chasing it. All were 2.5-3.5 lbs. Count was somewhere between 25-30 bass.

Used to slaughter the jack in Hugh's Old River lake in Long County with the spinner bait after catching all we wanted of pan fish on crickets; and when I would wade Ten Mile Creek in Appling Co, years ago would do well on the rebel with the jack and also bass. Quit that wading of the creek business because of the Cotton Mouths.

Close enough :D. Kinchafoonee. I live between it and the Muckalee, and fish them both regular, especially the beloved Kinchafoonee. My knee doctor actually prescribed my therapy to wade the Kinch with a 3 wt flyrod after every surgery he did on me.

WPrich

I haven't seen a Shyster in a coon's age. I have caught a heap of fish on them through the years. Jacks would tear the up.

Academy is only store I've seen them in, bought a few and never caught anything on them

WaltL1

Hey Richie,
As mentioned above red&white Daredevil, inline spinners, Johnson Silver Minnow in the thick stuff and Rapala minnow type lures.

Attachments

• pick1.jpg
    pick1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 230
  • pick2.jpg
    pick2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 230

shotgun

My grandson caught 7 yesterday on a double bladed white spinnerbait with gold and silver blades from Academy.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Another vote for a Mepps #2 with silver blade and a white pork rind strip( If you are lucky enough to still find some).