Missing in action. Can't Get No Satisfaction. 'Bout to have a physiological reaction.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Just a note to my fishing buddies here on the Forum about being out of contact for a few weeks. I'm usually calling around trying to get somebody to fish with me or at least give me the hot report.
My dad took a bad fall a few weeks ago and broke his arm and fractured his pelvis. We spent a week in the hospital and now a couple of weeks in Rehab. Been with him every day, but he is headed for assisted living soon. So I've moved out of his residence in Johns Creek and back into my home in Roswell.
I had to miss out on two planned saltwater trips. My to hunting partners went without me and on one day caught 80 fish.facepalm: And my wife and I had to ditch the 5-day retreat in Pensacola that we had planned for right about now.
He'll be getting out of rehab in a week or two and then we have him going into an assisted living place close to my home.
So fair warning....
I'll be back to bugging you guys soon... You know who you are!
Bustin loose soon!!!

Limitless

Mn, I'm sure sorry to hear that about your dad. I hope his recovery goes well and you can get him settled in a good place.

jocko755

We love fishing - but some things are more important. Glad you were there for your Dad and hope he heals soon. The fish aren't going anywhere.

1eyefishing

Thanks, Dave. And Mike.
We found an excellent spot for him here in Roswell. It is a ground floor three-room studio with kitchenette and bath.
But I'm afraid his recovery will be coincided with further deterioration. They found stage 4 cancer on his liver and lungs. He turned down chemotherapy. Doc says months, not years left...
He is lead a heck of a life and has packed three lifetimes into his own life.
He was a scholarship basketball player at Wake Forest. There, he was roommate in the athletic dorm with Arnold Palmer's best friend, Dick Tiddy. The three of them pal-ed around a lot during and after college. Dad's banking career kept him from becoming Pro, but was a top amateur with a negative handicap and one year played in The Dean Martin celebrity Pro-Am in Tucson Arizona. Arnold Palmer actually stepped down off the 1st tee at Bay Hill CC to shake my hand when Dad introduced him to me.
Right out of college, dad soon became the youngest ever VP at NCNB (North Carolina National Bank). Before his banking career was over, he had founded and was president of two banks in Virginia. He went before Congress to testify about the advantages of his last bank in Norfolk, Virginia. There, he personally oversaw the transfer of many millions of dollars in brand new $100 bills transferred from the US Treasury to aircraft carrier groups leaving port. It was amazing to me the amount of cold hard cash that is aboard an aircraft carrier. $7 million back then (70's). After he retired from banking, he moved to South Florida and was manager of a private club in Fort Lauderdale full of movie stars and super rich. I never quite understood it, but he pal-ed around with Liberace every time the man was in town... Some of us remember the crazy days of the early 80s. Some of us remember not so much.:D
He and I move to Buckhead in '83 to help start up a small used oil refinery in Fairburn. We eventually broke off from that and started an environmental contracting company where he eventually made his real money. I did the work, he made the money! Ha!
At the height of this career, he took $100,000 vacations every year. He stayed in the castle that Madonna got married in for 2 weeks and played golf in Scotland. He and his wife went to Italy and came home with $100,000 worth of Italian marble to remodel the kitchen and living area of his antebellum mansion in Covington. He bought that place for $220grand in an equity swap with his Buckhead house. Sold it later for 1.85 million...
He came from a home in the foothills of upstate South Carolina that had no electricity and had mountain creek water piped in to the house from up the hill. Gravity flow. I was about 5 years old when my grand parents got electricity, but I still remember that they did a lot of cooking and heated the house with the same old wood-burning stove.
He has had an outstanding run during his lifetime...
Now my mind is running overtime. (I smell wood burning when I think too hard.)
More later. Thanks y'all.

1eyefishing

Thanks again, Alex, and jocko.
Wherever dad went, I was sure to follow. When he was managing the club in Fort Lauderdale he gave me the valet concession to run. (Oh, the stories I could tell...) I was also the official gopher and jack of all trades on site.
Here I am, back to the camera, handing out registration forms at our celebrity tennis tournament. Some football player dude is signing his registration in front of the crowd and that is my dad on the far right applauding. I think that is the football dude's wife in the bleachers applauding above my right shoulder. 1975.

Attachments

• ezgif.com-resize (6).jpg
    ezgif.com-resize (6).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 190

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Hope everything settles down for the best.

Ready when you are.

1eyefishing

Thanks, Rick.
Text coming...
You and me in St. Marks in a couple or 3 weeks? (My boat).

jocko755

Sounds like your Dad has lived an amazing life. He's walking a road out ahead of you - we all must travel someday.

My prayers for his comfort on his journey, and for his family.