West Point Crappie Help

clay30286

Tried Friday at Sunny Point. The water was stained and warm. We tried from the bank to 15 feet trolling minnows and only found a few small fish. We are going to try again in the morning, maybe Yellow Jacket. Any advice for the weekend folks? Should we head further towards the Dam? Are they already shallow?

AStrick

I haven't fished West point in yrs,, Allatoona is my home lake,,
I be out in the morning fishing in major creeks and shallow flats, long line trolling! I got skunked last Saturday,,the water was muddy with alotta debris floating,,not good for trolling!
Good luck with the slabs!
Fo Sho!

ryork

Instead of going further downstream in Yellow Jacket Creek to Yellow Jacket access (assume that's what you meant), I would go further upstream in Yellow Jacket Creek from Sunny Point towards the HWY 27 bridges.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, definitely what these men said. They are moving shallow quick. This weekend was super good. I actually caught some fish that had already been fanning beds. There are a lot of people limiting while trolling. Word is 5-12 ft is the preferred depth with that.

clay30286

Thanks guys! We ended up with 30 good keepers mostly big females. We could not buy a shallow bite. We caught them all in the creek right across yellow jacket from the Liberty Hill ramp. 18 to 23 feet deep and 7 or 8 feet down. From the mouth of that creek (not sure what the creek name is) back about 150 yards.

ryork

I'm glad you had a good day!! The creek across from Liberty Hill is Turkey Creek (with all the timber in the mouth?), but that main body in front of Liberty Hill is the Hooch not Yellow Jacket. Enjoy the fish fry!

Whitefeather

Management Material
I think that creek is called No Name Creek or commonly referred to as "ski dock cove". Turkey Creek flows into Whitewater Creek. Be careful though..that standing timber is broken off and submerged just below the surface. It's all over the mouth of that place. Seen many a boat in there try to knock some of them down with their props.
As DP said it's about to get really good if the weather holds.

clay30286

Yeah I got way turned around on my creek names. Going to try them again in the morning. My guess at this point is that all areas are good. Water temp should be way up! Thinking of going further down. Maybe wehadkee... or Wilson

ryork

I think that creek is called No Name Creek or commonly referred to as "ski dock cove". Turkey Creek flows into Whitewater Creek. Be careful though..that standing timber is broken off and submerged just below the surface. It's all over the mouth of that place. Seen many a boat in there try to knock some of them down with their props.
As DP said it's about to get really good if the weather holds.

It's kind of funny how you can spend a lot of time somewhere for thirty years and different folks call places/things by different names. The creek that comes into Whitewater Creek just upstream of the road bed to the left with the ramp at the mouth I've always called Thompson Creek, and No-Name Creek was the small feeder on the west bank of Thompson about half-way back. I've know a guy who has always called Half-Moon Creek "No-Name Creek" too...... In any event, however they're referred to I've spent a lot of time in all of them, and at some point or the other have made some memories in them.

I did manage to get out and wet a hook for about 3-4 hrs on Tuesday. Had a real good day for crappie. Started out trolling and picked up a couple each time I passed over a brush pile sitting in about 8-10 ft of water. Finally, just anchored a cast away from it and we spent the rest of the time there catching them casting. Spent the entire time just on either side of the HWY 27 crossing between Sunny Point and Clark access. Saw a water temp of 65..... that has to be a record for fastest warm-up from the mid 40's to the mid 60's ever!

Attachments

• 2-23 (1).jpg
    2-23 (1).jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 696

AStrick

Slab city!
Congrats!
Always practice?
Catch and release into the grease!
Fo Sho!

clay30286

We went up wedhakee from Evansville ramp. Caught 15 or so in 8 to 10 feet trolling. Loaded up at lunch and went to liberty hill and straight across to the “ski dock cove”. They were on the bank there. We ended up with a bit over 30 total and maybe only threw back 5 fish all day. Lots of really nice fish. Hard to do a crappie justice in a pic but this is a size 12 shoe.

Attachments

• B43FEFCF-A9D7-4068-935B-55AA515C0B7E.jpg
    B43FEFCF-A9D7-4068-935B-55AA515C0B7E.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 595
  • 91BDE5C9-9EFA-45D1-BC64-B9DAE80FF2FE.jpg
    91BDE5C9-9EFA-45D1-BC64-B9DAE80FF2FE.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 595

tr21

that pic brings back old memories in ski buoy cove. me and a friend caught 96 bass( white, lm and hyb) in a spot about the size of a pickup about 100 yds from where that pic was taken, in less than 5hrs. I have a Sammy hanging in a pine tree right above that crappies eye. spent many days in that cove. good times. go there this week for bass take a ratltrap, pointer 100 and spinnerbait or chatterbait all you need. the last week of febuary was always best for me on the point. we caught those 96 on feb. 25

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Nice mess

Caught these on West Point today , caught a few trolling, then decided to try some minnows on a brush pile I’ve been adding to for 3 years , and while the bite was pretty slow we did manage a good mess , and most of them were nice size !

Attachments

• F6D4ABEE-5FB2-4460-9516-A8D4ADAC7ADD.jpg
    F6D4ABEE-5FB2-4460-9516-A8D4ADAC7ADD.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 448

SlowMotion

My deck boat doesn't have a trolling motor. Any recommendations on crappie fishing at West Point. Spots I can anchor or drift?

MikeyD6

Deleted
My deck boat doesn't have a trolling motor. Any recommendations on crappie fishing at West Point. Spots I can anchor or drift?

I like to drift when I'm crappie fishing, especially during the spawn. If you knew the spots for some good brushpiles you could anchor up, but for me throwing an anchor is usually more trouble than its worth. Figure which way you'll drift due to wind and current, then position your boat so that so will drift somewhat parallel with some steeper shorelines. If you start killing them in one spot, then anchor up.