Choke, No Choke???

bpd214

I've been thinking about maybe doing a little deer hunting this season with my Remington 870 express shotgun since I hunt close to a city limits. If I wanted to use a slug which choke do I use if any. I would think a rifled slug would be better since i don't have a rifled barrel. :huh

tv_racin_fan

Well as I understand it you do not want to shoot anything without a choke if your barrel uses screw in chokes.

Then I undestand that you don't want to use any more choke than modified with slugs. Improved cylinder seems to be the most popular.

fishtail

Well as I understand it you do not want to shoot anything without a choke if your barrel uses screw in chokes.

Then I understand that you don't want to use any more choke than modified with slugs. Improved cylinder seems to be the most popular.
This is the general consensus.
And usually a rifled slug in a smooth bore does perform better.

duckbill

You might get lucky and your 870 could shoot the cheap slugs well. My 870 express shoots the cheap Winchester slugs in the gray box pretty good. Imp Cylinder is the way to go, IMO.

georgia_home

Start with a box of sluggers and brenneke ko's. See how they pattern. 2-3/4 should be fine.

The others may work well. You just need to see what works well.

I use mod choke. It works well and allows easy switch back to buckshot if I choose.

TreeFrog

You might look into a rifled choke tube for your gun.

If you're going to shoot slugs in a smooth barrel this is about the best option available. You can find them at BPS and Cabelas for $15-$50. Switching the barrels out on an 870 takes about 30 seconds. You can get a rifled barrel for your shotgun for about $200.