Testament of a Fisherman/Turkey Hunter

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
John Voelker, aka Robert Traver, author of Anatomy of a Murder, which was also made into a movie with Jimmy Stewart, George C. Scott, Lee Remick and Ben Gazara wrote Testament of a Fisherman which first appeared in Trout Madness, another book written by him in 1964. I sent a copy of it to my daughter recently and she commented on two particular lines as being her favorites in the piece, one of which was the discussion of solitude. It got me thinking, except for the part about a mermaid, the words "trout" and "fishing" could be crossed out with "wild turkey" and "hunting" inserted respectively with a few other words changed, the piece could be about one on one turkey hunting. I have to agree with her about the poignancy of "only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness." I think this line expresses better than I can say why I prefer to hunt by myself. Times have changed about the telephone, however.

THE TESTAMENT OF A FISHERMAN_ ROBERT TRAVER 1964

THE TESTAMENT OF A FISHERMAN
ROBERT TRAVER 1964, (JUDGE JOHN VOELKER 1903-93)
I fish because I love to;
Because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly;
Because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape;
Because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion;
Because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience;
Because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don’t want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters;
Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness;
Because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there;
Because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid;
And, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant – and not nearly so much fun.

turkeykirk

Good read. Something about being alone in the woods to rejuvenate the soul.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Solitude is a requirement for me on a regular basis.

Good thread, Gil.

Toddmann

I sure do love all the environs that the Wild Turkey occupies. I love that 30 minutes of quietude I experience while waiting on a gobbler to reveal his location. Gonna be along off season for sure. Thanks Gil!

Luke0927

Thanks for sharing going to add these to the reading list. I'm already missing turkey season, matter of fact I have a deep woods brookie hole I may hit Sunday to do just that, get away.

GLS

You folks are quite welcome. Glad to share it. Voelker often wrote about fishing for brookies in his favorite backwoods pond--Frenchman's Pond. He lived on the UP of Michigan in Ishpheming. Gil

GLS

Many moons ago, I edited a local fishing club's newsletter. I sought permission to print "Testament" in the newsletter and this was the author's reply. Someone who knew him said that he always corresponded in green ink. I've kept the letter over the years and found it stuck in an old fishing book not too long ago.
scan0045_zpsrfjlwonw.jpg

Gaswamp

very cool...thanks for sharing

Steve Roberts

Awesome Gil!!! I'm going to have to find that book!!