Climber or loc on?

sadler2

Going to do a little more public land hunting this year I usually take a climber, but this year I was thinking of using a loc on and climbing sticks instead. What are some the pros and cons versus using either?

ji0187

I don't know. I've always used climbers but this year I am changing to lock ons. I bought a couple of millenniums and six receiver mounts to move stands arounds easily. We'll see what happens.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You couldn't run me down and give me a lock-on for public land hunting around here. Too much trouble to set up and take down. You can set up or move a climber in a couple minutes. Plus, the climber is about 10x more comfortable and safe.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You couldn't run me down and give me a lock-on for public land hunting around here. Too much trouble to set up and take down. You can set up or move a climber in a couple minutes. Plus, the climber is about 10x more comfortable and safe.

Boom shacka laka laka. ^

B. White

I have a couple that strap to the tree and have sticks on our club. They kick my tail every time I move them and I won't buy another. I hunt too much and move too much through the season. I can't imaging hanging one just for a weekend hunt.

GeorgiaGlockMan

I prefer a Climber when I am in a tree.

I have a couple lock ons but like others said they are a pain to hang. They have a place (and once set they stay up the season in that place). I set them up with screw in steps and usually put them in a tree where a Climber can't be used and alot closer to the ground.

I can sleep in my Climber like a baby. My lock ons don't have a rail. Nodding off in one of those will wake me up quick.

nickruis

They're tough to set up by yourself. I'd prefer my lock on over my summit viper any day. Public land though I don't know if I'd go through the trouble setting it up and taking it down. Takes me a few hours to set mine up by myself lol

stick_slinger

Public Land, definitely a climber... A pain carrying it in but a Lock On is more of a pain to go in the day before and set up and take down when you leave... Don't think somebody won't see your Lock On and set up 30 yards from it and shine you off from your spot at 5 in the morning. Messed up thing to do, but on Public Land whoever gets there first is hunting there no matter if a stand is sitting there or not... With a climber you can just move on to the next spot.

Even on private property I'll always have a climber at my disposal... Years ago I was hunting out of a Lock On and had a deer keep coming in on my set in a bad spot which didn't give me a great shot... Set up 30 yards away at a different angle, deer showed up in the same spot the next day and I was there waiting.

stick_slinger

I can sleep in my Climber like a baby. My lock ons don't have a rail. Nodding off in one of those will wake me up quick.

I like Lock On's other than them being a pain to hang but this is one thing I hate about Lock On's... Great for BowHunters as nothing is in the way when a deer comes in. But you better be wearing a safety harness and if you're not I hope you had your morning coffee lol.

Jack Ryan

Going to do a little more public land hunting this year I usually take a climber, but this year I was thinking of using a loc on and climbing sticks instead. What are some the pros and cons versus using either?

Take that loc on and sticks out in the yard tomorrow and put it all up. Then take just one shot from it.

Now do the same for the climber.

I think it will refresh your memory real quick. :huh:

Jack Ryan

Pa POW!:smash:

Timbo85

If I find a spot on public land that I plan on hunting for than a couple of times I will take a lock on and use screw in steps and when I get down I take the steps with me they are light weight and not hard to screw back in , and it will be there if I don't want to hunt it on a particular day I can always take a climber to a new location

stick_slinger

If I find a spot on public land that I plan on hunting for than a couple of times I will take a lock on and use screw in steps and when I get down I take the steps with me they are light weight and not hard to screw back in , and it will be there if I don't want to hunt it on a particular day I can always take a climber to a new location

This sounds like a good plan in theory but I thought you were supposed to remove stands no later than noon (don't quote me on the time) the day after the hunt??

Timbo85

I'm not sure I have heard you can leave a stand in a location for a wk end also for 2 wks and so on but I have never read up on it I know I have seen 1 stand at a local wma that has been in the same spot for 2 yrs and it's being used not just lost or left there , this will make the 3rd yr if it is still there I haven't been over in that area yet this yr but I am curious if it's been moved

NUTT

Tree selection for portables can be a challenge at times. You can put a loc on in just about any tree and can conceal them better than climbers. Rapid rails and a millennium would be my choice.

Jack Ryan

I still have a couple lock ons. I could just put those up and let the thieves make all these decisions for me and forget about it. It may take a day or two but they would be gone the first day I wasn't sitting in it.

ryanh487

There are also portable tripod options. Set it up against a good brushy backdrop and you're good to go. If I was gonna hunt public land (outside the mountains anyway), I'd have a millennium tripod and tote it into the woods on a deer cart.

marcel ledbetter

On public land I'd have to go with climber. But on private land especially for archery hunting you can't beat a loc on for concealment and they are stealthy quiet.

Latest posts