How can I not ruin your deer hunt with my small game hunt?

LovinOutside

If I go squirrel hunting, how can I not ruin your deer hunting? I think the best time is in the morning and in the evening, maybe 5pm+ before sunset for squirrel hunting.

Do people hunt deer in the afternoon at those times? I thought it was mostly early morning. The last thing I want to do is walk around and spook the deer you've been waiting on.

For squirrel hunting I tend to walk around more to find spots instead of sitting in one place.

whitetailfreak

Honestly, in my 30 years or so huntin Chattahoochee NF where big and small game seasons overlap, not once have I seen a small game hunter while I was deer or bear hunting. Just don't park beside another truck, and do your thing. Good luck.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Communication. Know who's hunting where. If nothing else, for you're own safety you want to know where folks are and where not to be when they shoot.

35 Whelen

No problem as far as I am concerned, if you spook a deer it may well run right by me!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, just don't go in where somebody is already parked. You have as much business doing your hunting there as the deer hunters, and you can avoid most of them by just hitting the woods where there is no truck on the side of the road.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I deer hunt my farm with friends. A neighbor who is about a decade older than I loves to rabbit hunt. He runs his beagles for training on my farm and has permission to do so any time he likes whether we are deer hunting or not. His beagles occasionally cause deer movement that improves the hunting. Besides, I like listening to the beagles too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A friend of mine killed a nice buck once because of some squirrel hunters. He said he was sitting in a tree when two guys came by squirrel hunting. They never saw him. He watched them shoot a squirrel and walk on. About two minutes later the buck came out of a thicket and was staring in the direction the squirrel hunters went, and my buddy shot it.

ThatredneckguyJamie

there are times when I would have paid big money to have some with a suppressed .22 killing squirrels around me as I sat in a deer stand...last year I hunted a hardwood strand on a little ridge and counted at least 15 running around and making more noise than a group of rhinos walking thru the woods

Yankee in GA

Where I grew up there were people that would protest hunters while they were in the woods. They would walk through the woods banging pots, pans and making noise. Most hunters never said a word because it used to drive the deer right to their stands.

georgia_home

with a quick look at a few wma's, i noticed that some schedule hunt dates to avoid the conflict. some folks get pretty touchy when the THINK their hunt is ruined.

on private land, i guess there are somethings to consider.

even with everyone hunting deer only, i've had people shoot on a property across the creek and drive deer right by my, so it's not necessarily bad. but it's separate property, so not much you can do even if you want to.

if you're on a lease, you may walk to talk with the folks there to see if there are any club rules to keep folks from possible conflict. club rules may well dictate beyond game law, giving one hunt priority over another. know what you signed.

property size is also a biggie. if the property is big enough, it may not matter at all, with large distances. on a small place, you are back to folks maybe getting touchy.