GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Handgun Hunting

Old 08-07-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty4x4 View Post
underwoodammo.com

Although its a 44 so you could prob shoot an acorn out of it and get a deer. I am sure what Apex said is fine too. But for those that don't load underwood has the best stuff out there. They have XTP's and hard casts. But some will say hard casts don't qualify as an expanding bullet. That's up to you and the GW, if one asks.
I got a new S&W for Christmas and Underwood by far shot the most inconsistently out of the 4 off the shelf boxes I CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored. ?????
Old 09-22-2017, 08:38 AM

HSM makes a 305 gr load they call 'Bear Loads". I carry then in both my mod 69 S&W and my Ruger #3
Old 10-18-2017, 05:10 PM

Just traded for a 10 inch 44 Mag barrel for my Contender. After reading this thread I went to Walmart and got the 240 grain Winchester JSP. My pistol shoots them great. Did have 2 that failed to fire with the first trigger pull. Pulled them out and rotated them and they fired fine. Donít know what the issue was.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:29 PM

Some contenders don't hit the primer hard enough. I had the issue a few occasions then I swapped to using Federal primers in lieu of the winchesters and they have worked flawless since.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryB. View Post
Just traded for a 10 inch 44 Mag barrel for my Contender. After reading this thread I went to Walmart and got the 240 grain Winchester JSP. My pistol shoots them great. Did have 2 that failed to fire with the first trigger pull. Pulled them out and rotated them and they fired fine. Donít know what the issue was.
You might try replacing your hammer spring if it has some age on it. They do weaken over time. Do you have a hammer extension installed?
Old 10-20-2017, 02:10 PM

If you choose to do something to it, give TC/S&W a call and tell them your problem. They will give you a shipping label to send it in for free. All it will cost you is a trip to Fedex.

Rosewood
Old 10-24-2017, 05:41 PM

The 44 Mag is the only round that has given me any issues. My other barrels/calibers fire fine. There is no hammer extension on it.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryB. View Post
The 44 Mag is the only round that has given me any issues. My other barrels/calibers fire fine. There is no hammer extension on it.
Could be a head space issue then. Take the barrel off and drop a loaded cartridge in the chamber, does it sit flush or below flush? If below flush, that may be your problem. That is something TC should replace for you.

Other possibility is the gap between the barrel and frame is causing a head space issue. I think you can shim the plate that the firing pin comes through, but it might not work on other barrels then.

Rosewood