2017-18 Harvest Map report is out

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
We're sucking wind in Troup.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Almost 1000 killed in my old club county, Jones.

Meriwether is right next door and they are kicking it.

The good news is the harvest in Troup is more balanced this year. People are starting to catch on about not killing does.

deers2ward

Not sure how useful the illustration is

For example, the low harvest numbers in the mountains are likely a function of lower deer populations, where as in Southwest GA, you clearly have very high quality bucks and healthy deer populations, but relatively few "hunting clubs" as most land is agricultural/large private landowners...so lower hunter populations. The two areas, while having the same color, have probably nothing else in common when it comes to deer populations and herd health.

red neck richie

The county I hunt has reported over 1500. 66% bucks and 34% does. I'm not sure if its a result of people not shooting does or the population is that far off.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Not sure how useful the illustration is

For example, the low harvest numbers in the mountains are likely a function of lower deer populations, where as in Southwest GA, you clearly have very high quality bucks and healthy deer populations, but relatively few "hunting clubs" as most land is agricultural/large private landowners...so lower hunter populations. The two areas, while having the same color, have probably nothing else in common when it comes to deer populations and herd health.

The density is relatively low in southwest GA as well, but it's the result of limited cover. During daylight, deer are mostly confined to the wooded areas between ag fields which is why you see a lot of them when you hunt there making density seem higher. Tons of acreage out in the middle of all those ag fields is pretty much useless except at night. It's very similar to urban deer populations; though it might seem like there are tons of deer, the actual density per square mile of land area much lower than you would expect as they stay concentrated around the available escape cover.

Land use has a lot to do with it, here's a post I made a while back using aerials to illustrate a similar point:
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?p=10910029&highlight=#post10910029

deers2ward

The density is relatively low in southwest GA as well, but it's the result of limited cover. During daylight, deer are mostly confined to the wooded areas between ag fields which is why you see a lot of them when you hunt there making density seem higher. Tons of acreage out in the middle of all those ag fields is pretty much useless except at night. It's very similar to urban deer populations; though it might seem like there are tons of deer, the actual density per square mile of land area much lower than you would expect as they stay concentrated around the available escape cover.

Land use has a lot to do with it, here's a post I made a while back using aerials to illustrate a similar point:
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?p=10910029&highlight=#post10910029

That makes perfect sense. Thank you