Bear hunting in North Georgia

Marlin_444

Can anyone suggest a few places on Forestry Land in the Helen/Dahlonega area?

I plan on getting up for a hunt or two during Modern Firearm Deer Season.

Minner

I'm thinking seriously about giving it a try during bow season. I will probably stick to WMA's though as I'm more familiar w/ them than National Forest land.

marathon

Depends on how far you want to travel, Cohutta WMA has a good bear population.

Lthomas

swallows creek and war woman have pretty good bear populations.

fishphillips

Last year I was hunting on public land in Habersham county and saw a pretty good bear. I was hunting just outside of Batesville on Raper Mtn. rd. I have hunted there for years but this was the first bear that I have seen there. I did not hear of anyone killing it, so it may still be there. Good luck and good hunting!! Send me a PM and I will tell you exactly where the bear was!!!!!

jcarter

Banned
im gonna put triz in ones living room this fall and see if he can stick it.

G

Gator1679

MULE said:
You're best bet would be to hunt North of Helen, closer to Hiawassii.

Chattahoochee WMA right outside of Helen is full of em.

Dana Young

Anywhere in the north Ga mtns. all the mtn wmas have good bear populations. the chattahoochee wma is probably your best bet. on one four day hunt last year with two either sex days they killed 3 bucks and 16 bears. swallow creek is another good wma for bears,tray mtnhas a good population as well, all these areas are close to helen, the batesville area has bears as well the one in my avatar came from that area last year. your best bet for a bear is during bow or muzzle loader season, after alot of hunting pressure they move further back in the mtns. all these areas are very rough so be prepared to climb mtns.
Toridak, yes you can eat bear but it has to be cooked right.

toddboucher

Can you take bear on private land? I was told only public

MULE

Yes, you can eat bear. Its just like everything else, the older they are the tougher they are. I think there is no better jerky than bear jerky.

and yes, you can kill them on private land too.

Torupduck

Banned
MULE said:
Yes, you can eat bear. Its just like everything else, the older they are the tougher they are. I think there is no better jerky than bear jerky.

and yes, you can kill them on private land too.
Cool. I might take one this year in my HC. See if my processor does em first.

Robk

A bear is my goal this fall. My daughter want's one on the wall and I haven't had any bear sausage in years.

Marlin_444

Bear Hunting in North Georgia

OK Brothers, that settles it - With all the input I plan on hitting the woods at the Chattahoochee Ntl. Forest the week of Muzzle Loader Season.

Thanks for all of your input, I look to see you all in the woods this fall.

Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe and Enjoy Every Moment in the woods like its your last...

Take care, have a Safe and Fun 4th of July Holiday!

:flag: :flag: :flag:

hi folks, north of helen 356 bear wallow mnt. climb the face drop off the side watch the rocks, 75a to rrs hwy rrs highway is got a very good bear population, head of the river north of helen on the old river road. swallow creek wma. just about any where you will have a chance to run in to bears.