Dawson Forest - Hog Hunting

wellham

Sugar Hill you are absolutely right about it being underused by hunters and overly so by everyone else. Being a hunter AND a rider, my riding activity is seriously curtailed this time of year and stays confined to the farm or well-used roads. Riders who do not pay attention to the regs (ride only after 10am during any game season, only on road, and pick up after themselves/camp in horse designated spots) are some that can ruin it for everyone. IMO, they seem to have a little law enforcement problem in DFWMA, as many places I went the folks were so drunk I didn't even get out of the truck. I waited until a weekday to hunt/fish, there were very few folks out until around noon or so, was about 6 weeks ago.

SmokyMtnSmoke

Are you being serious.....

.... plus there's radioactive waste buried there.

Or are you just trying to keep the masses away?

I've never heard this before and would figure it would be marked/ fenced off.

Robk

It is marked off and fenced but the isotope they were studying there in the early 50's only had a half life of 5.5 years and has long since degraded to a level not even noticable according to one of the area managers there that I spoke to there today.

Rob

EnglishRedNeck

Most of the waste was taken by train to Savannah and dumped in the ocean from what I was told.
But yes, it was some form of Govt. testing ground, hence all the concrete bunkers.

GA DAWG

There is hogs on Dawson forest.I've seen em close but not on the atlanta track.They could have been in just mins.Tracks galore on the wildcat track where I hunted.My buddies Bayed a sow and little ones on the amicaloa track one night coon hunting a few years ago.Most sign is on the wild cat track.Its big.Very big and THEY WILL BE HARD TO PIN DOWN.

EnglishRedNeck

Good Info, Dawg.
Thanks,
That is a pretty tract and I don't know it well at all. May have to check it out.
E

Robk

Englishredneck,
we may need to hook up and tackle that tract together some time. My six year old daughter wants me to put a bear on the wall in her room.

It was nice meeting you last sunday at the horse camp.

Rob

GA DAWG

Guys good luck! Its a rough track of land.I killed a 140lb 4.5 yr old 8 point off it a couple yrs ago.Took me over 3 hours to get him out of those hills and most of it was down hill!!!!

EnglishRedNeck

Englishredneck,
we may need to hook up and tackle that tract together some time. My six year old daughter wants me to put a bear on the wall in her room.

It was nice meeting you last sunday at the horse camp.

Rob

That sounds like a great idea. It'd be an honor to get together with you guys.

My 2 current hunting buddies (one's my wife's brother) are only reliable in their ability to constantly let me down:D

Not really I go by myself a good bit, but it is always more fun with some friends. I would really have to think twice about arrowing a deer if I was alone. Mainly because of tracking it, getting it back out etc..
It get's mighty lonely in them woods:bounce:

Robk

Being an ex-army knuckledragger I hope I can keep up with you. LOL

Having buds to help with the drag is a definite plus in them hills.

R

J HESTER

Good luck guys. I have lived in dawson co on and off for most of my adult life [ im 38 ] .i have only been on the wildcat tract may be 5 times.its way to rough for me.

Lostoutlaw

My son lives up there and he has been on wildcat tract a couple of times and he say's it is way too rough for him and his friends

Pineyrooter

If you want hogs Dawson Forest is not the place to be looking. In North Georgia Warwoman WMA & Lake Burton WMA used to be good and I guess still are but you have to do some walking.

The City of Atlanta tract does get its fair share of use and the public pressure no doubt has an affect. The deer are there though. DF is no different than most of the WMA's statewide in terms of DNR law enforcement. They continue to have to do more with less due to budget cuts and lost positions. The population isn’t exactly going down and public use of such areas reflects that. Maintenance is always a big issue on areas where you have large numbers of visitors. When you have limited staff working large areas there is no way to address every issue. What we see from the road is a small portion of what really goes on. I personally think the staff does a fine job given the resources available. If every visitor to the WMA carried out their own trash, didn’t drive their vehicle like they stole it and followed the rules maintenance wouldn’t be near as big a problem.

Coastie

There has not been a hog reported killed on the Dawson Forest WMA in the past three seasons and only one report of a sighting that I am aware of. If you want to hunt hogs, try Chestatee or Chatahoochee management areas. The managers there will be happy to point you in the right direction. Coopers Creek also has a resident population of hogs that need hunting.
Beyond that, please remember one thing about the City Tract of Dawson Forest. It is NOT your typical WMA, it is owned by the City of Atlanta Board of Aviation. The hunting rights are leased by the DNR for use by hunters, the City retains the right to utilize the other recreational and commercial aspects of the property as they see fit. The Georgia Forestry Commission manages the timber for the city and the DNR manages the trails which are there for Horses and Bicycles, again this is for the city, not the state. This is no different than the lease arrangeent you may have on your club. The property owner leases you the hunting rights and the right to set up and maintain a camp, yet retains all other rights of use for that property.
For those of you that have observed violations of the law, such as public drunkeness, may I suggest that instead of merely ignoring it, use your cell phone (or drive a couple of miles to the nearest public phone) to call 911 and ask the S.O. to contact a DNR Ranger.

wellham

LOL you can't keep the masses away! Was told about 2 months ago by state govt that the area is still radioactive- not enought to hurt anyone- but I guess that's why someone told me I could get a "wallhanger" up there....:)

GA DAWG

Yeah they still check for radiation.I've seen em doing it.Aint gonna be many deer left though.Not after the doe days this year!!!!

GA DAWG

I wish they would bring back the primative weapons hunt myself.

GA DAWG

Yeah thats what he told me.Said they were supposed to lose one hunt and wanted it to be the dec gun hunt and somehow it wound up being the primitive weapons hunt.Said since the regs are every 2 years now that they could not change it.So maybe next year it will be back.