Georgia Coyote Challenge

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Here's a press release for a new coyote program:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

GEORGIA COYOTE CHALLENGE BEGINS MARCH 2017; BRINGS CHANCE TO WIN A LIFETIME LICENSE

SOCIAL CIRCLE, GA (Feb. 17, 2017) – In order to encourage the taking of coyotes from March to August, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources’ Wildlife Resources Division is introducing the Georgia Coyote Challenge. Each coyote killed, up to five (5) a month per hunter/trapper, will earn an entry into a monthly drawing for a lifetime license (or equal credit for purchase of hunting/fishing licenses).

“Currently, scientific research suggests that removal of coyotes during the spring and summer is the most advantageous time to reduce the impact of predation on native wildlife,” says Georgia DNR Commissioner Mark Williams. “We want to encourage coyote removal efforts during this critical period.”

The coyote (Canis latrans) is a non-native predator that can be found in every county in Georgia and has the unique ability to live in a variety of habitats. Trapping and/or hunting are legal and recommended methods for managing coyotes. Because they did not historically live in Georgia, there is no closed season for their harvest.

How do you participate in the Georgia Coyote Challenge?
• Participants may bring a coyote carcass to any of the following Wildlife Resources Division offices (locations/addresses at www.georgiawildlife.com/hunting/resources/CoyoteChallenge), Monday through Friday, between 8 am – 4:30 pm, excluding holidays:
o Game Management Region offices
o Riverbend WMA office
o Waycross Fisheries Management office
o Demeries Creek Fisheries Management office
o Richmond Hill Fish Hatchery office
• Participants can submit up to five coyotes for five entries in the contest in a single month.
• Participant must be present during submission of coyote.
• Coyotes must have been killed between the first and last days of the submission month. Road-kills, spoiled carcasses, and live coyotes are not eligible.

The sponsor of the first lifetime license (or equal credit for purchase of hunting/fishing licenses) giveaway is the Georgia Hunting and Fishing Federation (www.gh-ff.org).

For more information, visit www.georgiawildlife.com/hunting/resources/CoyoteChallenge.

###

Gut_Pile

Very cool. Hope this takes off and is a great success

meatseeker

I don't see this helping much. At least they are making an effort but doesn't seem feasible. For example if I do this I have to drive nearly an hour to the site and during working hours.( during hot weather) and take the carcass back home haul it down in the woods for "a chance to win". I don't see this going anywhere. Jmo

specialk

me and my family already have lifetime license......

bdavisbdavis727

I don't see this helping much. At least they are making an effort but doesn't seem feasible. For example if I do this I have to drive nearly an hour to the site and during working hours.( during hot weather) and take the carcass back home haul it down in the woods for "a chance to win". I don't see this going anywhere. Jmo

Im with you, way to far of a drive for me. Ill still be hunting them though

shdw633

Outstanding opportunity. I'll be trying to get me a couple while I'm out on the property !! Would love to have a chance to have my license paid for!! Thanks for offering this up!!

jbogg

You can submit coyotes from both public and private land.

I meant to ask if one is limited to hunting them on National Forest only during other seasons just like hogs. Could they be hunted between turkey and the beginning of small game season in August?

PappyHoel

Nice, good idea!

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I like the idea, but the logistics will keep a lot of people from participating. Pretty inconvenient to haul a coyote carcass or multiple carcasses in the summer months. Seems like hunters should be able to present only the tail for entry.

BornToHuntAndFish

Sounds good with wide reaching future benefits for hunters helping decrease nasty stinking fawn eating yote populations. Good luck to all in the challenge.

:bounce:

Killdee

Thanks for the effort but I'll have to agree hauling a carcass in is not going to make this a productive process. Why not use Gon's method of a photo with a dated newspaper?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Very cool.