Indigenous peoples forgot God?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
probably the same way people forget God today. They don't seek a relationship with God, especially when things are going well. They become doubtful of their upbringing when things happen they don't understand. It is pretty easy to forget someone you never converse with or take for granted.

welderguy

Rom. 1:28 may help you see how.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Artfuldodger

Maybe the way ancient civilizations come and go. People got further away from the Fertile Cresent, eventually boarding boats and moving to far away lands.

Artfuldodger

Rom. 1:28 may help you see how.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

That doesn't help me as I consider Romans 1 to be talking about a group of Jews.

Psalm 106:20
They exchanged their glorious God for an image of a bull, which eats grass.

Even though people as a whole forgot God such as the Native Americans, God didn't forget his Elect from that group.

hobbs27

Probably wasn't very hard being so far from Israel and God's people.

welderguy

That doesn't help me as I consider Romans 1 to be talking about a group of Jews.

Psalm 106:20
They exchanged their glorious God for an image of a bull, which eats grass.

Even though people as a whole forgot God such as the Native Americans, God didn't forget his Elect from that group.

It's actually talking about Jews and Gentiles(Rom.2), but my point was how God turned them over to their own depravity, which is the case with all reprobates,without Christ.

Artfuldodger

It's actually talking about Jews and Gentiles(Rom.2), but my point was how God turned them over to their own depravity, which is the case with all reprobates,without Christ.

How is that related to the Native Americans vs the Jews & Gentiles mentioned in Romans 1 & 2?
I understand we are all reprobates until elected but do you believe every man knows God? Is that what you believe Romans 1 is saying? That every man in the whole wide world knows God but since they don't worship him he turned them over to their own depravity?

At some point as men ventured away from the Ark and the middle east they forgot God. I'm talking centuries later as children were being born in the Americas and Pacific Islands, they didn't know the God of Abraham.

These people were long gone from Europe when Paul was discussing the group in Romans 1 that knew God. These people had forgotten God perhaps even before they got to the Americas and Pacific Islands. Their forefathers had long forgotten about the God of Abraham.

We are all born sinners but the group in Romans 1 knew God and exchanged his glory for that of Idols. It was a group Paul was using as an example. It wasn't referring to the whole world of folks that didn't know God.

Artfuldodger

I would assume that by the time Paul came to witness to the Gentile nation that many nations of the world had long forgotten about the God of Abraham.

Does Paul or scripture mention how we or God will eventually reach these folks whose forefathers forgot God?

welderguy

Are the Elect considered reprobates until their effectual calling?

The elect are never reprobate.(condemned to an eternal separation from God)
That's the point Paul is establishing. He's telling us that ALL humanity is guilty, but later in Romans he shows how grace makes a difference to those that are called; that are IN Christ Jesus.

Last edited:

Vectorman

I wonder how it came to be after the flood that people forgot God?
These people moved on and forgot God.

It seems that most Indigenous people know there is a God, living off the land and being in nature they are witnesses to the fact that nature declares the glory of God. They just don't know who He is.

It probably goes back to the Tower of Babel when man decided to make a name for himself, (I think this is the same as the origional lie that Satan told Eve, "you can be like God") and God dispersed them around the world.

I think we are seeing ourselves in our country that it only takes a couple of generations for people to turn away from and forget about God.