Which one to buy

jfish

I recently bought a 42 for my wife. She for some reason cant pull back the slide. Got her through that but she limp wrist the glock and stove pipes nearly every follow up round. The gun is accurate as heck. Decided to keep give to my daughter. She shot it yesterday at 21' for first 20 rounds or so. Stove piped about four rounds before she figured out how to hold it. After that finished off the box of 100 rounds without fail. The gun is accurate as heck.

Reason I say accurate twice is it is just that. She fell in love with it. Shooting it a 5 and 7 yards then stepping up shooting it basically at 10'. Double taps, one to chest one to head and rarely missing. Good enough I am going to buy me a 43.

Have no personal connection with LC380. Although Ruger products have worked for me.

I did look at SW shield yesterday. Love the feel has a tick bigger grip which I don't want even though I have big hands. I feel like harder to hide in CC. Feels very good. An employee has one loves it. Shoots like a charm so well he bought his wife one. She was carrying a Ruger SR22.

Glocks are tough as nails. Not pretty but you really cant beat them for the buck. SW for me lately has not been kind. Its probably my biggest hang up on not buying the shield. I don't feel as though its as tough either.

stabow

Bought my wife the Ruger 380 she had trouble working the slide so I bought her a SW 38 revolver she likes it.

Dub

My wife already has the little Ruger .380.

A couple months ago I gave her a Glock 43. It is hugely more capable in terms of improved sights, improved trigger, wider range of defense & range loads, larger more comfortable grip (yet still very compact and concealable) and wider range of aftermarket parts like sights and such.

I urge you to look at the 9mm G43, but if you are certain you want the .380, then hands down I suggest a G42.

Nothing wrong with the little Ruger, but the Glock simply has better ergonomics and accuracy enhancing features.

GA native

The issues jfish's wife had are similar to my wife. I got a Taurus G2 9mm for my wife. She isn't strong enough to cock it.

I wouldn't buy either, yet. I would take her to the gun range, and rent the prospective firearms. And add a snub nose .38 to the mix. No jams, no hand strength needed to cock it. Simple point and click interface.

Anvil Head

My wife's got the Ruger LCP and likes it ok, just a little tough for her to jack in the first round. It's a fun thing to shoot. She does however, defer to her SW Chief Det. airweight .38, mostly cause she has carried and shot it for over 40yrs. (I prefer "big hole" weapons myself).

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Don't overlook the Ruger LC9S. Not much bigger than the LCP, but in 9mm. My wife shoots it well.

Luckybuck

I am listening, thanks for all the feedback. Big thing with any new firearm is learning how to use it. Concerned about pulling the slide back on any auto to cock and load first round. Sometimes this becomes easier as you learn where and how to place your hands on firearm. Thanks again for input.

Capt Quirk

I got the wife a S&W SD40. No issues pulling the slide, and even though I know she isn't gripping it as firmly as she should, no stove piping. It was also a lot less than a Glock.

jfish

I am listening, thanks for all the feedback. Big thing with any new firearm is learning how to use it. Concerned about pulling the slide back on any auto to cock and load first round. Sometimes this becomes easier as you learn where and how to place your hands on firearm. Thanks again for input.

I too ended up buying my wife a Ruger LCR 38. As stated by another poster. No slide no frills and its easy for her to use. Pull the trigger. It shoots well.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
This is what I c/c when it is hot out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 11.48.09 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 11.48.09 AM.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 559
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 11.49.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 11.49.16 AM.png
    483 KB · Views: 559

Luckybuck

The frame for the ruger lc380 and lc9 is exactly the same. How much difference in recoil if frame is same and one is 38 and other is 9mm.

noylj

>if frame is same and one is 38 and other is 9mm

.380 is less than a .38 Spl which is less than a 9x19.
Let her pick it out. I find that Glocks feel horrible and, if I aim with my eyes closed (natural pointing), the barrel is sticking up in the air at about 40°.
Next, consider a revolver. No slide to fight.

killerv

I love the 42, probably the most accurate pistol I've shot in awhile, but wife has issues with it. Stovepipes and jams every mag, she limpwrists the heck out of it. I also just bought a ruger for myself, but haven't had a chance for us to shoot it

wareagle700

I'd lean towards the 42 also. The Ruger isn't a bad gun, I just like the Glocks better. The 42 is a smooth shooting gun considering its size.

PappyHoel

I recently bought a 42 for my wife. She for some reason cant pull back the slide. Got her through that but she limp wrist the glock and stove pipes nearly every follow up round. The gun is accurate as heck. Decided to keep give to my daughter. She shot it yesterday at 21' for first 20 rounds or so. Stove piped about four rounds before she figured out how to hold it. After that finished off the box of 100 rounds without fail. The gun is accurate as heck.

Reason I say accurate twice is it is just that. She fell in love with it. Shooting it a 5 and 7 yards then stepping up shooting it basically at 10'. Double taps, one to chest one to head and rarely missing. Good enough I am going to buy me a 43.

Have no personal connection with LC380. Although Ruger products have worked for me.

I did look at SW shield yesterday. Love the feel has a tick bigger grip which I don't want even though I have big hands. I feel like harder to hide in CC. Feels very good. An employee has one loves it. Shoots like a charm so well he bought his wife one. She was carrying a Ruger SR22.

Glocks are tough as nails. Not pretty but you really cant beat them for the buck. SW for me lately has not been kind. Its probably my biggest hang up on not buying the shield. I don't feel as though its as tough either.

My wife has the same issue with the G42. She has long fingernails and can't reliably pull the slide back. She went with a revolver.

The G42 is mine now and I might trade it in.

jglenn

if you want an auto that she can operate the slide the answer is a Sig 238. period