Things That You Don't See Everyday...

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Yep, this is a prime example of a possum playing possum and it probably saved its life. Look at the sequence of events in these photo as the possum decided to get the heck out of Dodge just in time !!!!

Notice the eyes are open in photo 341, closed in Photo 342, then open again in Photo 343 after the dogs left.

These two dogs belong to a neighbor that lives about a mile away and they roam the woods 24/7/365 unfortunately. They have been roaming for at least 1 1/2 years now and I finally found out just who the owners were a couple of months ago but I haven't be able to talk with them about it yet. I don't think that he would like his dogs to possibly end up in a coyote trap.

Obviously, the Possum left a good scent trail on the ground as a little while later this coyote went right to the same spot in Photos 344 and 345.

NONE OF THE PHOTOS THAT I POSTED HERE ARE AVAILABLE NOW BECAUSE PHOTOBUCKET WANTS $ 399.99 PER YEAR FOR ME TO POST ANY OF THESE PHOTOS ON ANOTHER WEBSITE.

Last edited:
N

NantucketShedHunter

I wonder if that dog killed it after shaking it like that.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Possums lived with the dinosaurs, and are still with us to this day.

That speaks volumes for their tenacity and hang on foreverishness.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I wonder if that dog killed it after shaking it like that.

NO, the possum lived and ultimately left the area after this encounter.

That is the very reason that I showed these photos in sequence because the possum was NOT killed by the dog as it "played possum", hence the photos with his eyes open, then closed and then open again as the dogs left.

The possum obviously got up and left the area after the dogs left. Then 47 minutes later, the coyote came by and obviously smelled where the possum was lying on the ground initially.

I have at least 4 different possums that travel all over my property most every night it seems. They surely are some nasty looking and smelling critters too.

7Mag Hunter

I witnessed a possum "playing possum" once....Came home
and found "dead" possum on the driveway...I had 3 large
dogs at the time, and i assumed Mr possum met his fate at
their hands.....Put Mr Possum in the back of the truck to take
him down into the woods....
Got 1 mile or more away from the house, got out of the truck
and opened the tailgate only to find Mr possum standing up
back arched and his mouth open and glaring at me!!!
I beat on the truck bed and he finally found the open tailgate
and launched himself to freedom !!!!

Quite a surprise as i assumed he was dead>>>>>

Redbow

I have found them playing Possum more than once while hunting, I guess I just walked up too close to them and they went into the I am dead mode. We have one that comes to our back yard just about every night. The Wife puts a piece of old bread out for him every now and then..

I don't know why anyone would allow their Dogs to ramble like those two are doing. Eventually they will get caught in a trap most likely or poisoned by Coyote bait even...Anyway the owner needs to contain his animals for their own safety and well being..

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Possums are probably one of the hardest animals on the planet to kill. They are even mostly immune to snake venom.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Possums are probably one of the hardest animals on the planet to kill. They are even mostly immune to snake venom.

And their below average body temperature keeps them for the most part virus free and rarely can a possum contract rabies.

Cool series of pics!

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
Cool pics. I have seen several playing dead but only in my foot hold traps. Some play dead some don't.