The spirit teaches

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
It depends on what your definition of repentance is. If you think repentance means to turn from sin then no, repentance is not part of salvation.

You're DEAD wrong

If you believe that repentance is changing your mind and believing the gospel, then yes.

Delusional

My post about Calvin and Martin Luther was to show that they had the correct definition of repentance.

They do. You don't.

Vectorman

When we pass from this life to the next and you stand before God and if He asked you why should He let you into heaven. If you answer because I have turned from my sin or I have quit sinning.....be sure to bring some aloe

SemperFiDawg

When we pass from this life to the next and you stand before God and if He asked you why should He let you into heaven. If you answer because I have turned from my sin or I have quit sinning.....be sure to bring some aloe

As contrast to "Because I didn't turn from my sins and I kept willfully sinning?

Let me ask. If sin has no consequence, no penalty, and requires no repentance what was the purpose of Christ's crucifixion. Indeed! What was the Purpose of Christ at all. Why do you need a savior at all if you haven't done anything wrong?

Your doctrine negates it's own necessity. It self- destructs.

Vectorman

As contrast to "Because I didn't turn from my sins and I kept willfully sinning?

Let me ask. If sin has no consequence, no penalty, and requires no repentance what was the purpose of Christ's crucifixion. Indeed! What was the Purpose of Christ at all. Why do you need a savior at all if you haven't done anything wrong?

Your doctrine negates it's own necessity. It self- destructs.

Where in all the post have I ever said I haven't done anything wrong? But in post after post I have said faith in the finished work of christ and that alone is the requirement. Where in any post have I preached grace is a license to sin?

Vectorman

Why would you say that? Anybody who has repented obviously has faith in Jesus.

Because if I'm relying on faith in Christ I cannot add any works too it. And if I'm relying on my works, I'm saying I don't need Christ and his work.

You are trying to keep 1 foot on the dock and the other in a boat. Pick a side, are you depending on Christ or your ability to not sin?

SemperFiDawg

Where in all the post have I ever said I haven't done anything wrong? But in post after post I have said faith in the finished work of christ and that alone is the requirement. Where in any post have I preached grace is a license to sin?

I just countered your straw man with his antithesis.

hobbs27

SemperFIDawg... CPF. ...

I'm curious... Would you accept that the Apostles approached their subjects in different manners according to their race, being a Jew or a Gentile?
I believe I have found a great example of how Paul changed his style of preaching, and I think this is one of the ways vector has become confused over this, it's not a different gospel or a different hope, but a Jew would learn about Jesus through the Law and prophets.. A Gentile, not so much.

Artfuldodger

Preaching to the Jew, you would have to get him to forget the Law and go with Jesus. You would have to get him to accept that Jesus also became the King and messiah to the Gentile as well.

Preaching to the Gentile, you would have to teach him that they are being grafted into the promises once given to the Jew. Having never had the Law, yet presenting a religion that was once full of Laws might be a strange concept to Gentiles.

centerpin fan

SemperFIDawg... CPF. ...

I'm curious... Would you accept that the Apostles approached their subjects in different manners according to their race, being a Jew or a Gentile?
I believe I have found a great example of how Paul changed his style of preaching, and I think this is one of the ways vector has become confused over this, it's not a different gospel or a different hope, but a Jew would learn about Jesus through the Law and prophets.. A Gentile, not so much.

That sounds reasonable. I always thought it was interesting that the educated apostle (Paul) went to the gentiles because they needed a teacher. OTOH, the uneducated apostle (Peter) went to the Jews, who thought they didn't need a teacher.

hobbs27

That sounds reasonable. I always thought it was interesting that the educated apostle (Paul) went to the gentiles because they needed a teacher. OTOH, the uneducated apostle (Peter) went to the Jews, who thought they didn't need a teacher.

Yes and Art is correct too.

In Acts 17:19,22. Paul is teaching gentiles in Greece about Jesus, and not from the law and prophets.

Acts 28:23 Paul is teaching his brethren the Jews in Rome.. And he teaches them Jesus from the Law and prophets.

Peter teaching mostly or all Jew's would have appeared to present a different message than Paul which taught Gentiles... But as we already pointed out, there is one Lord, one Faith, one Baptism.

Vectorman

SemperFIDawg... CPF. ...

Wow, suddenly we have the sharing of ideas again, something a person can read, study, check the scripture about.

SemperFiDawg

SemperFIDawg... CPF. ...

Maybe, to some extent, but not so much intentionally, especially where Paul is concerned. I think God chose and guided them. You read Acts and several times you read that the Holy Spirit spoke through them......even across language barriers. This lines up with Jesus telling them not to worry about what to say. That when the time came the Holy Spirit would speak through them.

As an aside, It still happens today. I have a very close friend who had to bury his little girl a few years back. His wife had written out something she wanted to say at the end of the service, but was in no shape to do it, so he did.
When he got to the end of the message he said something happened to him. He said, "For those of you who aren't saved you better fix that quick, time is real short." He told me that wasn't in the message, and it wasn't even on his mind. He said he could NOT have said it if he tried to. He had to. It just came out of the blue, and he realized it was the Holy Spirit that did it through him. Made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Bama4me

As an aside, It still happens today. I have a very close friend who had to bury his little girl a few years back. His wife had written out something she wanted to say at the end of the service, but was in no shape to do it, so he did.
When he got to the end of the message he said something happened to him. He said, "For those of you who aren't saved you better fix that quick, time is real short." He told me that wasn't in the message, and it wasn't even on his mind. He said he could NOT have said it if he tried to. He had to. It just came out of the blue, and he realized it was the Holy Spirit that did it through him. Made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I disagree with the premise that the Spirit moves people today to speak in this way. People say a lot of things that are unplanned on a whim - our minds often deviate from a specific direction for a variety of reasons.

During the NT times when no written Scripture existed... yes. But not today.

SemperFiDawg

I disagree with the premise that the Spirit moves people today to speak in this way. People say a lot of things that are unplanned on a whim - our minds often deviate from a specific direction for a variety of reasons.

During the NT times when no written Scripture existed... yes. But not today.

Oh Brother. facepalm: Another person who thinks they can put God in a box (the same God who spoke the Universe into existence) based on their deductions from reading scripture.

Let me ask. By stating this, are you not in effect limiting God, and thus in essence becoming his master?

Think about this. The thief on the cross was the ONLY person Christ guaranteed he would see in Heaven today. He wasn't baptized, he didn't speak in tongues, prophesy, and wasn't an disciple. Shouldn't that serve as a warning about limiting God?