Bonefish in Eleuthera, Bahamas

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Sea urchins. Wear foot protection. You don't want to step on one barefooted. I don't recall issues with stingrays like we have here on the Georgia coast. Don't try to ride bull sharks.

jeremyledford

Sea urchins. Wear foot protection. You don't want to step on one barefooted. I don't recall issues with stingrays like we have here on the Georgia coast. Don't try to ride bull sharks.

AH! How did i forget this? There were urchins everywhere!!! I never saw any rays in about 80 hours in the water. not to say they wont be an issue though. Most certainly take quality footwear.

Aloe Gator and wading boots are in the mail.

Only 18 more days until I wade the flats. I'll be sure to take pictures and post a report/lessons learned.

Some pics

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 969
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 864
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 897
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 874
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 888
That's what the bonefish told me too. They fought extra hard when they saw my outfit clashed.

GLS

Well, see any fish? You carried the wine bottle cork fly carrier to a new level. Nice job! Gil

dtala nailed it. The only bonefish I saw was when I was snorkeling Day 1.

Went fishing the four days we had the rental car. Fished low tide and stared into the water so hard I started losing my balance. No fish.

I started thinking about deer hunting with my daddy as a young boy. He always saw the deer long before me and had to point out the tail, leg, or ear. It was then I realized how difficult it was going to be for me to even see a bonefish, let alone catch it.

Thanks to everyone who played by my rules and gave me more advice than just "get a guide." I took it all to heart and even made the wine cork fly holder (with hand carved cedar tippet holder to boot).

I must say, next year, I will hire a guide.

GLS

You get credit for trying. Many tides ago my wife and I stayed on a friend's trawler on Green Turtle. We had heard that there were bones on the southern tip. Sure enough, I found some tailers, took a shot and landed a nice one on a Bonefish Special. I had seen a guide fishing the area the day before and figured he was there for good reason and I could wade from shore to where he was. It was a memorable fish; my first bonefish, but not my last. Gil

dtala

bonefish are one of the very hardest fish to see, much less actually CATCH. The knowledge of the tides in a small area is very important as the fish may use a flat only for a short while on a specific tide. Did I say they are hard to see??? And flycasting on just about any saltwater flat can be very demanding. Much less seeing the "take" and setting the hook.....

I hope you wear em out next year as it is great fun.....

Early Christmas present from the wife. Turks & Caicos

Attachments

• IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 481
It made ALL the difference.

I went out myself the next day and was able to spot, cast to, and hook a bonefish. SURGE SURGE SLACK... then I remembered the little cuda that hit my fly earlier. I forgot to check my line and it cost me a DIY bone.

Tie on a new fly and keep wading. Up ahead I see a tailing bonefish making his way toward me. Biggest fish I had seen the whole time. Wait until he gets close enough for a cast. CAST CAST DROP... its short. I strip several times and he doesn't see it. As I pick up to recast a cuda comes out of nowhere and cuts me off.

By the time I retie he is out of range. I try to wade to him but at this point he is cruising and I can't get within range.

THUMP THUMP THUMP...

There it is again, that feeling in my chest that I haven't felt since I was a young boy watching a buck walk into the field.

dtala

congrats. Bonefish on a fly is something special.

if ya want to watch your reel sizzle just stay hooked to one of those cudas!!!!

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Nice thread.. I kind of wish I hadn't read it.. I don't need another addiction. Congrats on your fish!!

GLS

Those bones sure can scoot. Nice trip. That's a mighty big engine on the back of the flats boat. Great photos. Gil