Moutrie A-5 (MCG-12589)

I have had 4 of these since around 2012. I remember paying maybe $50/each for them as they were entry level cameras. I was perusing eBay and am seeing this exact model now selling for $200+ What gives? These are older/discontinued models. And again, pretty entry level ones at that @ 5MP. Mine are still going strong after 4 years. Many false pics, but that is what the delete button is for...lol

Am I missing something here? I still have the original boxes. I may need to pack them up and sell 'em for a killer deal of $150 each........any takers.......lol

Last edited:

Buck Roar

I have had 4 of these since around 2012. I remember paying maybe $50/each for them as they were entry level cameras. I was perusing eBay and am seeing this exact model now selling for $200+ What gives? These are older/discontinued models. And again, pretty entry level ones at that @ 5MP. Mine are still going strong after 4 years. Many false pics, but that is what the delete button is for...lol

Am I missing something here?

I've had one since 2014 and has worked flawlessly. Only had to change batteries on it twice. Like you said some false pics but $50 is amazing.

Yeah, battery life is amazing for sure. I use 5000 mA rechargeables and they last me 6 months at least.

I know there is a Gen 2 version of the camera, but that would certainly have a different model number that what I put in the Title.

N

NantucketShedHunter

I don't see that camera anywhere on eBay for $200. Can you provide us with a link?

I'm guessing maybe you fat-fingered your search. Here are just a few examples, but there are many listings. I used "MCG-12589" or "Moutrie A-5" to search.

Roger

Have 8 a5s. Best cam for the money. Super sensitive though. But they last forever. Should be 69 dollar range online. But if you want ill sell 4 of mine for 135 each lol

N

NantucketShedHunter

What are the pictures like from those cameras?

Nice pics. I saw the Gen 2 A-5's for around $65 at a couple brick & mortars last week. Just wonder why those eBayers are asking $300+. Who knows?

N

NantucketShedHunter

Thanks for the pictures. Day pics are okay. Night pictures are poor, tons of noise. Not bad though for a cheap Chinese camera.

bogeyfree31

Nice pics. I saw the Gen 2 A-5's for around $65 at a couple brick & mortars last week. Just wonder why those eBayers are asking $300+. Who knows?

It's Christmas time and somewhere a wife is out there looking for a gift for her husband. She has been told by her husband that you get what you pay for when it comes to trail camera's, so she is looking for a $200 camera VS a $60 camera. Low and behold she finds the A-5 on eBay for $200 and buys it. Husband opens it at Christmas and is happy it's not a tie or socks.