Color Phase Fox squirrels

Hi all, on a recent hunt down there i seen two solid black squirrels and one mostly gray and white squirrell with a black head.

Are these type of squirrels pretty common in Georgia, or did i just get REALLY LUCKY?? lol

Anyway thought about coming back down there to hunt them because color phase squirrels like that are extremely rare up here in the mountains of virginia

kreekhunter

i see them about 5 or 6 times a year. that is what we call a fox squirrel, especially if it was real big.

Resica

We have many places where our gray squirrels are black up here in Pa. I've seen a colony of albino gray squirrels in central Ohio too.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
In South Ga and in Florida, Fox squirrels come in many colors. Black is one of em.

bowtie

like this one

Attachments

• week3 133.jpg
    week3 133.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 23,196

Public Land Prowler

Glen I can try and get you on a few different color phased fox squirrels..Next time ya come down,make sure its around dec-feb and I know where we can find a few..We dont have many down here,and most people dont shoot them for sport,usually only if they are going to mount them.We have silver,blonde,and blacks..

This black one got hit by a car..I havent shot a fox squirrel in years,but it is not because I couldnt have.Just dont..

IMG_0228_edited.jpg

IMG_0227_edited.jpg

Swamprat

Swamprat
In Florida I have seen them solid black to solid white. The majority though are either a gray/silver color with a black or darker head.

At least in my parts there seems to be no standard color for a fox squirrel. You can see five of them in a few acres and every one will be a different color or pattern.

Glen I can try and get you on a few different color phased fox squirrels..Next time ya come down,make sure its around dec-feb and I know where we can find a few..We dont have many down here,and most people dont shoot them for sport,usually only if they are going to mount them.We have silver,blonde,and blacks..

This black one got hit by a car..I havent shot a fox squirrel in years,but it is not because I couldnt have.Just dont..

IMG_0228_edited.jpg

IMG_0227_edited.jpg

december is bear season up here (so u may be up here):banana:

but february sounds really good, it gets cold, lonely and boring up north here in these mountains come february

only thing worth huntin then is coyotes....and that sometimes makes me wanna bang my head off the wall:banginghe

ted 88

I see one almost every time i go out to my lease. but, its the only place i've ever seen one. pretty sure ive seen every color but white. that would be pretty cool!

Jim P

Tere to rare for me to shoot one, I guess unless you was going to get it mounted, but that's just me

simpleman30

plenty of fox squirrels on fort stewart. daufuskie island, s.c. has the biggest fox squirrels i've ever seen. we played golf there a couple of months ago for my buddy's bachelor party weekend and i swear those fox squirrels on the golf course were as big as a coon.