record rack deer feed

EastALHunter

Basal dialators....

Guys I have posted on here before to look into ADM Alliance Nutrition's Super Deer deer feed. Knight Farms in North Florida (www.knightfarm.net) help ADM develop the feed and its a good one. There are many deer farms and camps in North Florida and spreading into Central Florida that are feeding this feed in their pen operations and their hunting preserves.
ADMs mill is located right off the interstate in Cordele.You guys should have a freight advantage in GA that the feed would hopefully be cheaper up there. One of the main advantages of Super Deer is an ingredient called Thermal Care R which is an all natural based ingredient that has been used on many different ruminants that are exposed to heat stress here in the south (particularily dairies). The main thing Thermal Care R does is promote blood flow. You guys can say that these some of these feeds are glorified goat feeds but just to let you know all of these feeds are not the same. ADM is a big enough company and have the researchers and technology to make cutting edge feeds like Super Deer that are trully making a difference in deer in the South. You can find dealers at www.admani.com and if they dont carry it they can get it.

I have a question about rain shed technology. I had a feed store owner around gainesville FL who feeds deer in GA on his lease tell me that he wont feed a rain shed pellet because he has done analysis on feces and it has shown that excess amounts of protein were contained in the feces due to the rain shed product. Has anyone else heard this before?

have been around for a while. I looked at putting them in my feed but the PhD nutritionist that I work with did not have conclusive evidence that it worked. Much of the talk around basal dialators is that direct application to the velvet antlers in a small enclosure is the best method for antler growth.

The best thing for heat stressed deer in the south is energy which comes primarily from fat. Natural fat is the best source and causes least rumen stress and problems which in turns reduces overall stress for the animal. Just got back from a trip out to Texas where I learned a whole lot about how they deal with animal nutrition out there. It's a whole different world and when you want to talk about heat stress - now that's heat stress out there. No rain and 110 degree heat with no native browse left due to the droughts. It's a wonder they get any good bucks out there. They do things a whole lot more cost effectively out there and they have to - because their deer consume a lot more supplemental feed.

doerun101

I have used Record Rack, Godfreys and Purina Deer Chow. I prefer Purina Deer Chow with watershield mixed with corn. Even in bin feeders water will get to the feed but with the watershield it withstands it alot better. Of course in spin feeders it spins great. I have come to find out the others (without watershield) will get damp and wet and would clog up the spin feeders. Whitetail Institute has introduced a deer feed 20% protein with watershield. Will wait till next year and might try it. Will probably be expensive. Purina Deer Chow I can get for 13.49 and corn for 6.59 50lb bags.

fountain

why would you mix it with corn?? if they are eating the pellets then you are burning daylight--give them all pellets and let them get all they can from them--the corn is doing nothing for them at all. you are wasting $7 feeding the corn right now.

im still not sold that any one feed is head over hills any better than the other. i just dont see how it can be--maybe produced with better porducts--equating to a higher price---but who is to say that a cheaper 20% feed is any better than the highest 20% feed for MY deer?
i just got some very disapointing pics last weekend. i had a beautiful 3.5 year old 8 that i had eating good and looked to have awesome potential. i have a whole folder of pics of him and even got his sheds--that joker has not grown one centimeter bigger from lat year to this year. until THE DEER, not the feed seller, prove me wrong, i am convinced that i am wasting money at this point. i will continue though, hoping i start to see a difference in the 1.5-2.5 yr old deer in the next year or so.

doerun101

Not all of the pellets in the spin feeders get eaten before

the rain and dew finally get it. If we put some corn with it the pellets don't have a chance plus when you have 12 feeders it gets expensive to feed all the time. It cuts costs and with little waste. But with the bin feeders 2/3 pellets still costs override 100%. Last year was the first in this club and this is not a bad 3.5 from last year and he is still around. Haven't got a picture of him yet this year. I am not wasting the money on corn it still has 7% protein and I may be wrong but deer want different food, and at this time of year with all the green browse you have to give them everything you can. Between the green browse and protein pellets some carbs are not bad for them. I have noticed on this new club at this time it seems the does with little ones are in charge around the feeders not 100% but if they are their the bucks are not. Just my opinion and I used to hunt in Il and they fed nothing but corn and soybeans. Your deer could have been really run down, hurt and really stressed after the rut don't know your food plot situation on your land. Sometimes we get into this about feed and big bucks remember you want that buck to reach his potential (genetics could be the player here).

Attachments

• sox.pdf
    401.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

fountain

i know genetics are the main player--nobody wants to face reality, but the " 8 point gene" is dominant--meaning this is about good as it gets. i can take that. it will come with time.

sounds like you need more feed troughs--and i happen to have 2 i need to sell!! i just dont like to put the feed in the spin feeders. i think it would waste a lot laying on the ground. we do run a lot of spin feeders and have a good plot system. the hogs are the main killers when it comes to feeding on our place. we have had them for long as i can remember.

doerun101

Yeah, I am getting the same way. Hate to put to bed

8 two year old Moultrie spin feeders that work great and you can see by picture the deer will come. Just my opinion the big bucks are more likely to eat from under a spin feeder than stick their head in a covered bin feeder. On the other hand start them young and they will continue to eat out of the bins. I like this forum good ideas and other opinions and the people are not getting mad etc. thanks

fountain

i can swap the troughs for some spin feeders. long story on the troughs, but i basically dont have anywhere to put them. we can always use the spin feeders.