Taurus spectrum

pottydoc

My wife wants to switch to a semi auto carry gun from her SW Airlight. I had her try some of the compacts at Academy Saturday (notbfiring them, obviously). She really liked the Taurus Spectrum. I read some reviews on it, they were pretty decent. Anyone have personal experience with one? She liked the LCP also, but said the Taurus felt more comfortable. Price was about the same. Luckily for me, she didn't like the Glock, Sig, or Kimber compacts the guy showed her. :)

killerv

I personally wouldn't want to rely on a taurus if something ever did happen. Just my opinion. Too many good small 380s out there to go with the taurus. Hogue makes a slip on grip for the lcp and its a night and day difference. If fact, I ended up selling my lcp with the grip to a lady who fell in love with it.

Reactions: Dub

wareagle700

I also wouldn't have the confidence in a Taurus to trust it as a carry gun. If you look around, you can find good deals on quality used guns. Try and take her to an indoor range that has several she can shoot and see what she likes best. I'd stick with the good names though, S&W, Sig, Ruger, Glock, maybe a few others.

Not sure what your budget is but I recommend looking at the Glock 42/43, S&W Shield, Ruger LCP/LC9/LC380, and Sig P365. The LCP is a great buy when you can get them under $200, PSA has them on sale right now.

I recently purchased the Sig P365 and am very pleased with it. 1200 rounds down the pipe and no issues with the gun so far. Hard to beat 10+1 rounds in a pocket sized 9mm. If you can swing it, it's worth the extra money IMO.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Lots of people that have never had a Taurus give them a lot of bad reviews.

I've got a PT24/7 9mm that I've shot probably 7-8000 rounds through, in IDPA competition, that I've never had a problem with. I've also got a PT111 9mm that's my EDC that I've never had a problem with in 2 years. I've probably put 1000 rounds through it.

I've never had to deal with customer service, so can't argue with any at the above link that are still waiting to get guns back from recall work.

GeorgiaBob

There have been a few questions raised about the reliability of both the Taurus firearms and the responsiveness of the Taurus company. I don't know how good (or bad) the entire Taurus line is, but I have shot several other Taurus semis, and they seemed to me to be well made guns. I also checked out the Spectrum a few weeks ago. It seemed to be a solidly built little 380. I am not sure whether it will shoot any better or worse than the LCP. I did note that the Taurus was a little more difficult to break down for cleaning.

I did not think the Taurus was as comfortable in my (much larger than my wife's) hand as the Ruger LCP. But that may be muscle memory - I bought my wife an LCP 2 years ago, and have taken it to the range a number of times. While she has only fired about 150 rounds through it, I think I have burned through more than 450 rounds.

Part of the reason for my "extra" firing was that I added a Crimson Trace red laser last Christmas, and had to make sure it was sighted in. Then, of course, I also had to determine the max range the laser was visible (about 7 yards in sunlight and up to 25 yards in low light). OK, I admit I played with it a lot, it is fun to shoot.

I can recommend the LCP, but I suggest you spent a little extra and get the LCPII. I bought an LCPII for my daughter a few weeks ago, and she likes it. The II has better groves on the slide, plus groves on the front of the slide (which the original does not have). There are other "features" also.

And if your wife is not an expert shot, I also recommend a laser sight. It makes settling on target very fast and does improve accuracy! I got the Crimson Trace when Midway had a sale. It was easy to mount and stays in place. I know there are other lasers (like Viridian) but I am not familiar with their products and cannot give you a recommendation for a "best laser."

Let us know what you choose!

B. White

Take her to a range and let her put a few rounds through several different range guns and see what she says. I thought mine would want the Sig P938 after shooting it. I carry it some, since it fits well inside the waistband.

She likes my midsize Rock Island 45 and shoots it ok. She really likes the hunk of steel Tristar here http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=917426 , which surprised me, since it is double stack and larger grip. She said she likes the weight and balance. It hasn't failed yet in a few hundred rounds.

She currently opts to carry a PT111 g2 that we have. I had trouble with it at first and changed a the spring and rod and have not had any issues the last 300 or so rounds of reloads and mixed crap ammo. I'm watching for a Tristar or Canik in the compact version and will pick one up when I see a sale. Based on what she has shot, I think it will be the best fit that is reliable that she will like to shoot and be at a decent price point.

Bottom line, I fail when trying to predict what she will like. Opinions change after pulling the trigger.

pottydoc

Shooting a few of them is next on the schedule. She likes the LCP, also, just liked the way the Taurus felt better. Thanks for posting he advice to all of you, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna steer her toward the LCPll, but we will make a trip to the range first.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I'll never give taurus another penny......

Dub

The only advantage to giving my wife a Tauris would be for those times when she gets a hankering to take a shot a me......I'd probably be just fine. :ROFLMAO:

My wife has two carry guns: A S&W Airweight 5-shot and a G43. Both have been flawless at the range when I wrung 'em out good on many sessions and she's right on target with both, too. Minute of ribs accuracy and such, lol.

I've never had any of my Glocks fail me of the years. No matter the caliber. Same with the wheel guns I've owned.

I can't say I've had the same experience with the few Taurus pistols I've tried.

I refuse to carry a gun that hasn't proven complete reliability.

The other advantage for her using the Airweight and G43 is that she can easily run the other wheel guns & Glocks that are at in our home, too.

JohnnyWalker

My wife wants to switch to a semi auto carry gun from her SW Airlight. I had her try some of the compacts at Academy Saturday (notbfiring them, obviously). She really liked the Taurus Spectrum. I read some reviews on it, they were pretty decent. Anyone have personal experience with one? She liked the LCP also, but said the Taurus felt more comfortable. Price was about the same. Luckily for me, she didn't like the Glock, Sig, or Kimber compacts the guy showed her. :)
Beware, Taurus no longer warranties their guns for life. Only 1 year now and their customer service is pitiful. Just check their Facebook pages.

krizia829

I shot the Taurus Spectrum a couple of months ago and all it took was one shot to realize what a piece of garbage it is just like all of their other semi auto's. Please don't do that to your wife! If she wants a small 380, get her an lcp or lc380, glock 42, m&p shield 380ez, etc. have her actually shoot them. There's a saying in spanish that we use here in south FL that says that the cheap comes out expensive! Invest in a quality gun so that you don't have to spend more money on another gun, or hospital bills! The Taurus factory is minutes away from my home and I sent so many guns to them for repair when I worked at Bass Pro Shops that I knew their address by heart. Not a good thing! Lol

Papa Bear

I have a Taurus 740 slim which has been a great gun. Only put 200-300 rds through it but for CC which why I purchased been good gun. It's not as good as my full size Glock but for the money didn't expect it to be.

tcward

Got 3 different Taurus semi pistols with over 1000 rounds plus through each with no major issues.