Brook Trout

fishndoc

Well, it for certain is not a "true native Brookie", but I've been looking for an excuse to post this picture of this hog-Brookie I caught on the Nantahala DH last week:

Attachments

• Big Brookie.jpg
    Big Brookie.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 979

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a nice'un, been in there long enough to start coloring up. Resica, a lot of the little tiny creeks around here are full of beautiful little wild browns, too-one of the reasons that the specks are having a rough time.

Resica

That's a nice'un, been in there long enough to start coloring up. Resica, a lot of the little tiny creeks around here are full of beautiful little wild browns, too-one of the reasons that the specks are having a rough time.

I agree, the browns and wild bows( though fairly few and far between up here) aren't doing the brookies any favors. All those wild fish are beautiful though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I fish some creeks that haven't been stocked at all in thirty years, but the descendants of the stockers are still in there.

Unicoidawg

Staff member

Resica

I fish some creeks that haven't been stocked at all in thirty years, but the descendants of the stockers are still in there.
Plenty of streams up here that aren't stocked that hold trout other than brookies. Just have to put the feet on the ground. Plenty of streams that hold large trout that haven't been stocked in years or have never been stocked.

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
Heck I'll throw out a couple of easy ones... Tellicoe in Tennessee. Park above the ranger station and start walking upstream. Walk till you can't walk no more then go a little further. As far as I can tell them up there are the real thing. And... if you want to stay in GA, follow the Hooch thru Helen and straight up the mountain towards its head. Lots of feeder streams and the Hooch itself has good populations of natives when you get past where all the yahoos fish.

Both these are all day trips at the very least and cover some rough ground. But if you are really after some native brooks these are a couple I would give a shot.

fishinbub

There are no creeks that get "official" stockings of brookies except the Tooga and Savanah (from SC) but there are some thrown in here and there. There are no known brookie populations in Lumpkin(doesn't mean they aren't there, but they are VERY small and in the EXTREME headwaters if they are there), so the odds of wild brookies in Frogtown or Chestatee are almost 0. It's not like they could have drifted down from a feeder (since that is rare on a stream with multiple brookie filled feeders, much less two in a day in a watershed not known to have brookies) There is a lot of private land on Frogtown, so odds are they were stocked privately. I've caught stocker brookies in Dicks (same watershed), and don't underestimate how far they will travel...

Tightliner

For the record, there is a huge difference between true native "speckled " brook trout and the typical brook trout that are found in the larger streams after being stocked. The native Southern Appalachian brook trout is a completely different genetic subspecies than the northern strain brooks which have been introduced to our creeks and can be found in nearly any trout stream, either newly stocked or streambred. A lot of mountain streams were restocked in the early 1900's with northern-strain "big" brookies after the native trout populations were destroyed by large-scale commercial logging at the turn of the century. The natives now live pretty much only in tiny headwater streams way back in the woods-creeks that you can jump across that don't have other types of fish in them. It's very rare to catch one more than 8-9" long, most are more like 4"-6" in length. The ones in Tightliner's pics are the natives. The ones in Chiefsquirrel83's pic are not the native type.

YEP.

If there is not a barrier fall and virgin timber, they are probably not indigenous. Southern App specs simply cant compete with introduced species. If brookies are caught in a "mixed bag" of fish, they were probably stocked or decendants of stocked Northern sub-species.

Later......................................

fishinbub

YEP.

If there is not a barrier fall and virgin timber, they are probably not indigenous. Southern App specs simply cant compete with introduced species. If brookies are caught in a "mixed bag" of fish, they were probably stocked or decendants of stocked Northern sub-species.

Later......................................

I think you'd be surprised by how resilient those natives are. I've caught wild brookies in places they weren't supposed to be, and there are a few streams where you can catch a mixed bag that includes true native brookies. But, the Chestatee is not one of those places...

There is no need to go to NC/Tenn. Plenty of good native brookie fishing in Ga. Look for 2k+ elevation and a barrier falls. HINT lots of elevation change on a topo map means the odds of a "barrier falls" are very good. Alot of times a stream will go through rapid elevation change, then flatten out up high where the brookies are...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I know a few little creeks where I catch specks mixed with little wild browns or rainbows, but seems like there are less specks every year in those creeks, and they keep getting further upstream all the time.

limbhanger

Wish I could go back in time and relive the many hours i fished behind my father. I know for a fact, that I was blessed to have fished some of the best Native trout streams in Virginia. I remember my father telling me that one day brookies would be be gone due to poor forestry and land management. My father, was half Cherokee Indian, native fishing I believe came natural for him.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Caught a few wild rainbows this weekend but no brookies. Those little rainbows sure were beautiful though.

went further up Frogtown and finally caught some real Brookies last weekend none of those green pork fed ones in the pic....largest one was about 6 1/2 inches....it was COLD!!!!

GP Burdell

Heck I'll throw out a couple of easy ones... Tellicoe in Tennessee. Park above the ranger station and start walking upstream. Walk till you can't walk no more then go a little further. As far as I can tell them up there are the real thing. And... if you want to stay in GA, follow the Hooch thru Helen and straight up the mountain towards its head. Lots of feeder streams and the Hooch itself has good populations of natives when you get past where all the yahoos fish.

Both these are all day trips at the very least and cover some rough ground. But if you are really after some native brooks these are a couple I would give a shot.

I'll echo that. I've found a few small ones that appear to be natives way up in the hills of the Hooch watershed. Had to hike a long way and at one point rappel down a cliff to access the stream but they were fun to catch on dry flies. Can't say if they really were natives because I didn't run genetic tests but they sure didn't look like any rainbow or brook that I've ever seen.