Winchester LongBeards XR 3.5" #6 pattern with CVA Apex and Mossberg 835

Long Live Xtended Range!.........while I can still find it. Came across this prized jewel yesterday in local sporting goods. I'm good for a few more years!

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Long Live Xtended Range!.........while I can still find it. Came across this prized jewel yesterday in local sporting goods. I'm good for a few more years!

I've got about 10 or 11 shells left myself!! I shoot the 3.5" #5's

That is the best firing load I've ever shot out of my gun. Will flat knock a bird down too!!

klemsontigers7

I've got about 10 or 11 shells left myself!! I shoot the 3.5" #5's

That is the best firing load I've ever shot out of my gun. Will flat knock a bird down too!!

Really? I've been under the impression that turkeys have armor plating and can no longer be killed with lead.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Really? I've been under the impression that turkeys have armor plating and can no longer be killed with lead.

That isn't a lead load. It's the tungsten load they made for a short time.

And I've still got plenty of Fed Premium copper plated #5's that roll turkeys just fine too.

The mtn man

You lucky rascal, If I ever find any, I will buy all they have.

icdedturkes

I know where there is a good number of Xtended Pre Elite from the first few years of production sitting on a shelf which many say is better than the later years production of Xtended..

Brad C.

Well I think Clark knows more than most folks on turkey loads. I think he also answered your question at Old Gobbler. The shell he cut open had an extra 51 pellets vs what a #6 load should have. That's a big difference.

klemsontigers7

Well I think Clark knows more than most folks on turkey loads. I think he also answered your question at Old Gobbler. The shell he cut open had an extra 51 pellets vs what a #6 load should have. That's a big difference.

Yes he did answer. My shell didn't have more.

Brad C.

Yes. But his did. So that just shows that these loads do have smaller size shot. If one has them, there will be more.

striper commander

I just shot a 3.5#6 through my 870. I got 294 with a 665 jelly head and 254 with a rem super full turkey choke. I cut one of the shells open just now and counted 495 shot. How many are they supposed to be in two ounces of copper plated 6's.

Last edited:

Reminex

I just shot a 3.5#6 through my 870. I got 294 with a 665 jelly head and 254 with a rem super full turkey choke. I cut one of the shells open just now and counted 495 shot. How many are they supposed to be in two ounces of copper plated 6's.

Less than that. I think for copper plated around 420-430.
Were they give or take all uniform?
This is another reason I think #5 is the way to go for longbeards

klemsontigers7

Less than that. I think for copper plated around 420-430.
Were they give or take all uniform?
This is another reason I think #5 is the way to go for longbeards

Copper is less dense than lead, so technically it's about 220/oz so it should have 440 in 2 oz. Did you weigh it?