Best box call for the money?

ryanwhit

matter of fact, I have played probably 30 or 35 turkey calls of so called callmakers most of which made the Mickel books. Out of that only 3 that I would trust to make me a call without me playing it first. That's one of the reasons I look forward to going to Unicoi to try a few other notable callmakers wares to see who else has a consistant quality call.

Who are your 3?

Gaswamp

Hustlin Hen is hard to beat....

I have heard yours....Personally, I would have to play a few more of his boxes to make a final assessment on the consistency and quality.
Admittedly, I do believe that I would have to be objective in overcoming Purpleheart wood not sounding the clearest to my ears. However, if I played 5 or 6 of his calls and they both showed consistent quality added to the ultimate judging of the turkey itself in the performance of the call, then I could make a more clear and personal assessment.
I do know that Hal and you both like them and you both kill turkeys so it is my sense at this point that he probably makes a decent call at a good price.

davisd9

S&S Custom calls out of VA and Lonnie Mabry. Hands down best bang for your buck.

X2! I do not own a Mabry Box but plan to swing by the next time I am that way. Everything I have heard about them and have saw they are top notch for sure. I am a big SS fan as well, love my Maple/Spanish Cedar!

Timber1

BANNED
Best box call for the money.... one that will play well when wet or the humidity is 95%, one that wont break when sat on, one that will play even if you lose or forget your chalk, one that you wont cry over if you happen to leave it beside a tree and cant remember which one, or so far back in the mountains that just thinking about going to get it makes you want to throw up. The best box call for the money is a mouth call in mho. ;)

herb mcclure

Box Calls

I do not qualify, to get involve, in telling anyone about long boxes, scratch boxes, or any other kind of BOX TURKEY CALLERS; simply because; I never used them. However, I have fifty-nine seasons under my belt, and have called gobblers in; since fifty-seven season's ago.

This is just my my two-cents worth, about calling gobblers. Today's turkeys hunters, make too much hassle, about who makes what call; sound the best.

I have raised, and been exposed to Eastern Wild Turkeys, for more years; than I care to tell of; again.

Turkeys are like people, they all have different sounding call voices, among-st themselves. Old hen, is not like young hen, and in-between , there are course and fine yelps. I believe the rhythm cadence, in calling, is more important, than the sound tone. Most callers, call in a rhythm, to slow. They call more like a gobbler-rhythm, than a hen-rhythm.

I, and a forty-five year hunting companion, both use the same make, and kind of turkey caller; but, we don't sound alike in our calling; although we both call gobblers regularly; and don't worry about the tone of sound.
herb mcclure

KentuckyHeadhunter

Herb I think it's so amazing that ole Leon's caller is still proving to be successful!!! You are probably the only turkey hunter still using one and I bet ole man Leon, RIP, would be proud and honored!!!!