Mountain Laurel

Clipper

The main reason I hunt and fish is because I just love to be in the woods. I've been hunting Pine Log WMA this spring and the woods have gotten really pretty the last week or so with the Mountain Laurel blooming. I always thought what I was seeing was Rhododendron but after taking photos and an internet search realize I have been enjoying Mountain Laurel blooms. It grows along most major creeks and gets so thick you can't even crawl through it in places. Here are a couple of photos for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• Laurel Bloom.jpg
    Laurel Bloom.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 499
  • Mtn Laurel Tree.jpg
    Mtn Laurel Tree.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 501

Ellbow

I to love to just walk in the woods and enjoy the moment. It's not always about the actual hunt just the moments. Glad you had a nice time.
El

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
and extremely poison. Never eat the leaves or flowers

Clipper

I happened on a tree I've never seen in the woods before and not sure what it is. At first I thought it was a shrub but then realized it was a 30' tall tree that had fallen over and lived. I thought it pretty enough to photograph. Blossom was 8" across and the leaf had to be 18" long. Also thought the snake was pretty as well. Plenty of hog sign but no hogs. Pine Log WMA.

Attachments

• Pinelog mystery flower.jpg
    Pinelog mystery flower.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 388
  • Pine log mystery tree.jpg
    Pine log mystery tree.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 385
  • Pretty snake2.jpg
    Pretty snake2.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 387

Clipper

I looked the snake up on the internet and it resembles an Eastern Ribbon Snake.

jerry russell

Eastern Garter snake most likely but sometimes impossible to tell without seeing bottom jaw. Cool snakes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the ID. I must have happened on an old homestead for it to be there.

No, they're native in that area. The woods are full of similar species up here in the mountains.

The mtn man

I've always know that tree as a cucumber tree, I never understood why folks around here call it a cucumber tree. I guess generations ago someone thought the flowers resembled cucumber blooms,

TIMBERGHOST

Looks like a garter to me too. Nice photos. Thanks for posting.

Some real beautiful Mountain Laurel can also be found in the mountains of NE TN, up around Mountain City.

Clipper

I've always know that tree as a cucumber tree, I never understood why folks around here call it a cucumber tree. I guess generations ago someone thought the flowers resembled cucumber blooms,

I did a search on cucumber tree and came up with this article. I have not been able to find a photo of a bloom that looks like mine, however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnolia_acuminata

Last edited: