Garmin echoMAP 70ds

Poor Poor Fisherman

I've decided it's time to get a new sonar for my boat.... In fact, it's past time. I was first looking for another Lowrance since I've been happy with the one I have but was also considering a Hummingbird. Just out of curiosity, I took a look at the Garmins. The echoMAP 70ds with the touch screen quickly caught my eye. Gotta admit, it was impressive and seemed really simple and easy to use. It's the right size, has the features I want, seems priced right and the screens looked great. I know that Garmin has a great reputation for their GPS technology and units buts that's all I know.

Just wondering if anyone had anything they could share with me? Experiences and opinions welcome please.

Thanks

FMBear

I have the Garmin Echo 500c that I installed 2 years ago. Easy install and a very accurate and easy to use fish finder.

Not lovin Garmin

Hey, I had Garmin in my boat and it was fine. I wanted to upgrade for sidescan. I contacted a Garmin rep that was a friend of a friend to see when Garmin planned to add side scan/down scan to their products. He told me Garmin had no plans on adding those features. I tore all my Garmin stuff out of the boat and sold it on The Hull Truth website. I then had to pick between Humminbird and Lowrance. I picked HB because they had the 360 coming out soon. I have since added the 360 and had a bunch of headaches in the beginning with interference. I finally got all that worked out. The 360 is pretty cool but very pricey. I would say if you have no intentions of ever springing for the 360 then go Lowrance with sidescan. Don't know what your budget is but get the largest screen your budget will allow.
Hope that helps a little.

drill instructor

I have the Garmin 70 with sidevu and downvu. Love it and for me it's the only one I would use. If you want the sidevu you have to purchase the black box.

Latest posts