Y'all remember the ice storm of '72?

shea900

I'll bet this weekend won't be nothin' like that.

I remember it well, 13 and was out of school for over week,:banana: but spent most of this time helping haul wood while the older ones cut the tree's up that had fallen all over the driveway, it was more ice than anything, there was 12 kids and 8 adults lived in an old 4 room farm house with only source of heat was a pot belly stove sitting in the parlor, each taking our turn backing up to it to warm ourselves, we burned Cole in the heater and each of us younger ones had to take turns going out to get a clump of it,.... no indoor running water, had to get it from a well, 30 ft away from the House and the outhouse was 100 ft Yup! needles to say we all froze our U-know-whats off:(
boy those sure were the good-ol-days :D
for some reason of was thinking this one happen it '71 :huh:though

Last edited:

StriperAddict

I saw many an ice storm in the 70's on Long Island, NY. I'm not sure if it was in 72', but my fav memory was seeing people walk across ice at Hempstead Harbor that was frozen from days & days in bitter cold temps. And the Harbor is salt water!

Buckbuster

I remember it very well. I was a young fireman in Cobb Co. and we ran nonstop with house fires one right after another. People will do crazy things to stay warm when the power has been off a few days.

DEERFU

Barely, I was 5. The pics help a little bit! I remember the very thick coating of ice on our doorsteps that I busted my rear on. I also remember the downed trees (Cobb Co.)

GoldDot40

I wasn't even though of yet. I do however, remember one back in '92? that knocked out power for a few days.

westcobbdog

I was thinking it was 73' but remember it well being around 12 or 13 living in the middle of a pine forest in Sandy Springs..trees snapping left and right, no power 4 or 5 days. Everyone slept in the den by the fireplace in sleeping bags.

General Lee

I was thinking it was 73' but remember it well being around 12 or 13 living in the middle of a pine forest in Sandy Springs..trees snapping left and right, no power 4 or 5 days. Everyone slept in the den by the fireplace in sleeping bags.
Itwas 73..........

Jim Ammons

Recheck you date on Ice Storm-I think you will find that it was January, 1973. I was employed at Dalton Utilities at the time and was called into work on January 7-got to go home 4 days later. Worst I have seen in my 72 years. If my date is correct in February,1973 snow was measured on level ground at 24 inches at my parents home in Webster County.

Last edited:

Redneck Maguiver

Oh Yes. I was a young buck back then, but remember it well. Had the whole house full of relatives for a week and total caos...

DeltaHalo

I was 6 months old.....:biggrin2:

and livin in sunny Florida....

I do remember a nice snowstorm in 1981 here in Cobb County though....We had a ton of fun..

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I was'nt born yet. Yestreday was my birthday and while at my parents house my mom was looking up the weather on the net. She told me that when she brought me home from the hospital there was a big ice/snow storm. This was in '82, she joke it will 29 years to the day that we are having another huge storm like that.

robertyb

I was a senior in college in Americus. 1st snow there in 56 or so years. Randy Howard was a dep. sheriff at the time (later Sheriff) and he had wrecked his car and stopped me wanting to commander my VW. I told him heck no, he had already wrecked his car so I would drive him. Took him on several calls till a wrecker got his car out of a ditch.