Rebel Flag Question

Zebina

teaching your children to be proud of their heritage isn't wrong. teaching racial hatred is wrong . you'll never be able to get most people to agree on this subject.

Derek

First of all, I don't know why it took me so long to find this post but this is one of the better ones I've seen on the board so far. So with that said, here is my .02

I could not be any prouder of what our ancestors did in the Civil War and I really get angry when ignorant people think that the war was about slavery. The war was about "states rights", only a very small portion of southern people owned slaves and in the vast majority of cases the slaves were considered part of the family.

Lots of our ancestors died for the cause, no matter what the exact flag (we've mentioned several in the post)was that they were fighting under. Just like lots of our fellow breathern have died under the US flag, and it is hated by many as well, but that doesn't keep me from honoring the sacrifices that they have made either.

I am also a Christian first, but it is impossible to make everyone happy. You will make yourself crazy if you try to do this, I learned that a long time ago.

By the looks of the red/blue states, after this past election, looks like it would be pretty easy to succeed from the union these days :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: ::gone:

wildcats

my .02 worth

the battle flag has never stood for slavery or any other ill concieved ideals...50 years from now, a 100 years from now what if a group such as the KKK or the Black Panthers or a cult group used the American flag as their monoquer would that all of a sudden make the American Flag inappropriate? do they determine what the flag stands for? its sad that its come to this. a small minority says they're offended by the "symbol" so that makes it bad. i think that anyone who sees the Confederate Flag as a "symbol" of racism then should educate themselves to what the flag really represents. just my opinion.

stumpman

Banned
With all of these opinions why did yall let them do away with this flag yall should have went and protested like the well you know what im talking about and kept the flag you let jessie jackson put his nose in something and there it goes yall should fight to get it back whats going to happen when like posted earlier they dont like the american flag ?

GeauxLSU

The original question was a spiritual one and this has unfortunately strayed, as I knew it would, to a political one. That horse is dead.

Stump, regarding the American flag,... it's already begun in earnest. :(

Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

WildBuck

There have been some very good replies on this subject but there is only one thing to do, Teach listen to that still small voice and follow your heart and you will not go wrong on this one. When in doubt , Pray for an answer and it will come.

Duff

I too, do not know how i missed this thread. Great debate. Teach, I feel your leaning the right direction. When it is all said and done, it doesn't matter if we are proud of our southern heritage, northern heritage, eastern or western heritage, as long as were proud of our ORIGINALheritage and realize what God has given us. As Christian, it is our duty to spread God's word and live as He wants us to live. As unfortunate as it is, some view the flag as a symbol of hate and that is not the message we are supposed to relay as Christians. I personally don't understand how one can relate a flag to hatered, but some do. Sounds like you have a great daughter and I would continue to teach her about her southern heritage and explain why you feel she shouldn't wear the shirt. She will understand, if not now, later.

humdandy

Banned
What a few short years a difference makes.............trying wearing any rebel flag in school these days and you'll probably be tired for a hate crime.

LittleDrummerBoy

The avoidance of the confederate flag in our household is more a matter of seeking peace and not doing things that will predictably stir the pot or cause trouble (unless it is a real matter of holiness, faith, or conscience).

In general, I try and avoid things that might cause a brother to stumble, but there are people who try and manipulate this principle to control the behavior of other Christians. For example, with regard to eating meat (or drinking wine or dancing), brothers who do not even observe my habits and actions are not really in danger of stumbling. Prying into the habits and actions of others for the purpose of feigning offense is just manipulative.

My family has experienced enough grief and persecution over our necessary and prudent expressions of faith and conscience and unwillingness to go along with the crowd in doing evil. We're sure not going to go out of our way looking for it over disputable issues like the flag.

Scripture says, "Make it your ambition to mind your own business, to live a quiet life, and to work with your hands." While I would tend to defend the rights of others to display whatever flag they wish (a protected 1st Amendment right), my household is gonna steer away from things that cause trouble.

speedcop

First of all if wearing something with the flag on depicts if I am a Christian or not, well, I have missed something. My Christianity is obvious by my my faith and works not by a confederate shirt. I for one am sick and tired of "someone" being offended by everything but what "they" believe. Maybe its time for Christians to take a stronger stand than folding at every so called social injustice. If a flag shirt would attract a non believer to approach me what better chance to tell them of Jesus. Those who look for opportunity to trash and condem mostly out of ignorance or hate are perfect candidates for the two edged sword of God. There are a lot of symbols in this world that upset folks and some rightly so, but not symbols that good men died for the betterment of those now living.

Agent

What a few short years a difference makes.............

Indeed. At one point, it didn't bother me a bit to see the rebel flag on shirts or bumper stickers. Now, it drives me crazy. Not because I want to disrespect anyone's memory, but because the flag has now been taken up by so many of the "I dare you" crowd who goes out hoping that it will offend someone; people who intentionally put it on and say, "I wish somebody WOULD say something." Now, it's almost to the point where it doesn't even have another meaning...if its not there already.

12 years would put the OPs daughter at 26 years old now. I wonder how she feels about it now.