Clover before rain

BuckNasty83

Finally got some rain heading our way. Looks like rain tonight through wed. I was wondering if this will be too much rain for clover seeds. You think I should go ahead and broadcast, or wait towards the end of the rain? With my luck, I'd miss the rain all together

Forest Grump

On the Ga-Tn line, you should be in line for a lot of rain, if the forecast track proves true.

With a heavy rain, seeding small seeds like clover or chicory on the surface often will result in the seed floating, then coming to rest in the puddles, which means you get patches of bare ground & areas where it is far too dense. On slopes, it may wash the seed away entirely.

If you have a lot of residue, or can run over it with either a cultipacker or an ATV, that will seat it in the soil better & give a more uniform result.

If you have expensive seed, or cannot replant, you are OK to wait, as clover needs cool temps to germinate well; & moisture will eventually fall later. Deer will be more drawn to cereals in Fall anyway; clover is planted now for use much later. If you are overseeding into a stand to fill the thin spots, or planting annual clover: you can sow it now if you wish. It will sit until conditions are right for it to flourish.

BuckNasty83

Yeah a should have mentioned, I've got oats down. The, then, forecasted rain skipped my area, so it's been sitting for 2 weeks. I noticed yesterday that I'm getting some germination. I guess from dew. Brassica also mixed in with the oats. And brassica's will be in this clover mix. I know it's a little late for brassica, but I wanted to try anyway. All mixes are Whitetail Institute