Sawtooth Oak Report

Bushhog Bob

Put a camera on my 7 sawtooth oaks about 2 weeks ago. There are so many acorns on the ground, I was wondering why the deer were not eating them. When I checked the camera, they were there every night and some during the day. At least 12 to 15 different bucks and gobs of does and fawns. What was strange, not a single picture of any turkeys, squirrels, raccoons or any other animal. Will be receiving 10 more from Ga. Forestry in Dec. that I will be planting in one of the other food plots.

southernman13

How old are the trees. Any pics. I've got a bunch planted. Only a very few acorns this year. Next year should be really putting them on I hope. !!

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
We have a few Sawtooth oaks too ...... I need to check on them as well!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Mine are yielding very well.They are 12 yrs old.

humdandy

Banned
I have a hundred or so that are 25 years old. This year the frost got them and I only had a few produce.

It is great early food source..........in SEGA they start dropping at the end of Sept. and first of October.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I have a hundred or so that are 25 years old. This year the frost got them and I only had a few produce.

It is great early food source..........in SEGA they start dropping at the end of Sept. and first of October.

Mine were dropping for the last 3 weeks. Only issue with them is the hulls they drop.

humdandy

Banned
Mine were dropping for the last 3 weeks. Only issue with them is the hulls they drop.

Sounds about right in Screven as well.

That cold spell put a hurting on them this past March. They were loaded with catkins and the 3 days of upper 20's took care of them. I had 2 or 3 trees to drop acorns and the deer ate them in a just a week or so.

I killed a 6 point years ago and checked the stomach content, I bet he had 10-15 lbs of sawtooth acorns in his belly!

Bushhog Bob

Sorry I didn't have pictures posted, but my grandson has to do that for me and he lives elsewhere. My trees are about 15 years old . I fertilize them with some 10-10-10 in late March or early April every year. Some of the bucks were sparring and a couple of them even bedded down under them. I keep the grass mowed under them, so it is open. If my grandson comes in this weekend, I will try to get him to post pictures under a new thread that is titled:

Sawtooth Oak Pictures Thanks for looking

rydert

Blue Heeler man
I planted some last year. From what i've read they start producing in 5 to 7 yrs......it that about right?

Bushhog Bob

That's about when mine started. I guess I was lucky when I planted them years ago. I did not use tubes or put wire cages around them. I just put them in the ground and gave them some water when it got dry for the first 2 years. I planted a couple of Chinese Chestnuts with them.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I planted some last year. From what i've read they start producing in 5 to 7 yrs......it that about right?

I saw a few at 7 yrs. They really started producing at 9 and have been going strong ever since.

joepuppy

I saw you were getting another order from GFC. May I suggest the gobbler sawtooth variety that they sell? It has a smaller acorn, but produces the same volume and just as soon. I've watched these trees at our nursery (GFC) and have been impressed at how the deer pefer them.

Bushhog Bob

Sawtooth Oak Pictures

Here is picture of the trees and acorns . Two of the trees at the end are Chinese Chestnuts.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 286