Wal-Mart corn

knightcustomworks

I've always bought corn from Academy and Tractor Supply. Deer always clean it out quick. Bought a bag from Wal-Mart 2 weeks ago, almost 3 dollars more a bag, and it started sprouting after a few days and the deer won't touch it. Never had any of the other corn sprout. Any ideas?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
It sprouted because it somehow got or had moisture. Deer corn will sprout! I've planted it before and had a good crop!

Fork Horn

I noticed on some bags of deer corn that it says that it shouldn't be fed to cows or chickens. Any idea why? If it is safe for deer or turkey, shouldn't it be safe for cows or chickens? Not trying to hijack this thread, but the discussion of corn reminded me of this question.

GeorgeShu

That warning label screams to me that it failed to meet USDA grade standards for feed grade corn. My guess is it failed the aflotoxin test. If its is not suitable for cows or poultry I would not put it out where turkeys may get at it. Not sure if deer would be affected or not. Either way, I would not buy it at any price.

Further research, search "feeding aflotoxin corn to deer". Many studies indicate aflotoxon corn is harmful to deer, turkey and bobwhite quail.

Last edited:

Fork Horn

That warning label screams to me that it failed to meet USDA grade standards for feed grade corn. My guess is it failed the aflotoxin test. If its is not suitable for cows or poultry I would not put it out where turkeys may get at it. Not sure if deer would be affected or not. Either way, I would not buy it at any price.

Further research, search "feeding aflotoxin corn to deer". Many studies indicate aflotoxon corn is harmful to deer, turkey and bobwhite quail.
This is kind of what I thought. If it isn't safe for chickens, I can't imagine its good for turkey.

knightcustomworks

It's actually starting to grow now. I just thought it was strange all the corn that I've bought has never sprouted, but this particular brand sprouted just a few days after it was out.

transfixer

I bought some of the apple flavored corn once from walmart, the deer didn't seem to care for it, it lasted quite a while,

misterpink

I noticed on some bags of deer corn that it says that it shouldn't be fed to cows or chickens. Any idea why? If it is safe for deer or turkey, shouldn't it be safe for cows or chickens? Not trying to hijack this thread, but the discussion of corn reminded me of this question.

Where did that come from? Never seen that before.

doomtrpr_z71

With that label it did most likely fail the alfatoxin test, it was most likely blended with some that passed and sold as non feed grade to avoid retesting. The corn broke dormancy and moisture was present so it sprouted, its most likely older corn. It can even sprout while the ear is still on the plant if vivipary occurs

Vivipary-20051012-15e.jpg

Fork Horn

Where did that come from? Never seen that before.
It was either Walmart, Academy or Bass Pro. Can't remember which one. I'll take a look the next time I'm in those stores. It was the first time I'd seen this and it got me to wondering how safe is it to feed to wildlife when they are saying don't feed it to other animals.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I think some places like Walmart has there corn fumigated to kill Bollweevil's so u don't have the dust while stored up. There corn maybe a year old before u get it.
Y'all are buying from them stores cause they are there and easy.
Your better off going to a feed & seed store.
Tractor supply maybe better but I don't know. Don't get there corn either. I do get dog food there.

doomtrpr_z71

Buying corn from Walmart is no different than buying it straight out of the bin, neither one will be tested for alfatoxin and certified to be feed corn.

BassHunter25

On another note. I have seen deer eat green fresh sprouting corn. We have had some out on the edges of food plots where it got tilled under and seen it snipped and got deer on cam chewing it. I guess they like anything tender fresh out the ground.