Sunday Thoughts-Nov 12, 2017

olcaptain

I have been sharing my “Sunday Thoughts” on Facebook and through e-mails for several years. I have also been posting on the GON Freshwater Fishing Forum for many years, but I have never shared here. I just thought I’d put this on here this morning in hopes that it might encourage someone. If it does, to God be the Glory!

uqp7ziN.jpg

Sunday Thoughts-11/12/17
Topic- Tell me the Story of Jesus
Text- John 1:26-34; 3:26-30

I dearly love to write. In fact, I have been writing fish tales for over 16 years. During that time, I have found that the best stories are the ones written not about me, but about my guests.

John the baptizer sets the ultimate example of “It’s not about me.” He preached repentance and had his own disciples, but he made it crystal clear that his role was simply to be the forerunner of Jesus Christ, the true Messiah.

Two phrases coined by John the Baptist run through my mind this morning that have resounded throughout biblical history. The first was when he said that he wasn’t even worthy of unlacing the sandals of the One to come. The second was when he said, “He must increase, but I must decrease.”

We live in a world where most people want to emphasize themselves long before they mention others. Their life story seems to be about me, me, me, me. Stories as well as our daily conversations are much more enjoyable when we don’t talk or boast about ourselves. We may be able to spin a whopper of a fish tale but the greatest story we can ever tell is our personal story about Jesus. Frances J. Crosby said it best when she wrote “Tell me story of Jesus. Write on my heart every word. Tell me the story most precious. Sweetest that ever was heard.”

NugeForPres

Thanks for the reminder, Cap. It is not about us, it never has been. It's all about Jesus.