loading deck / clover plot

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Im new to the hunt club scene. Im also new to food plots.
We planted pennigton rack master deluxe fall blend in alot of small plots.
On two of the propertys we do not have a year round food source. Both of them have big loading decks that are not planted. I want to turn them into clover plots.

I have been using the search button and think i have a rough plan. I wanted to see what you guys think. I do have a question or three.

1. Soil test no brainer there.

2. have the forest service come in and clean and plow deck. (apply lime at this time)

3. next october plant white clover along with some type of cover crop for the winter.

4. if all goes well i should have nice 1/3 and 1/2 acre plots that will need only spraying and mowing.

Questions:
It takes approx. 6 months for the lime to do any real good. Is there any use trying to plant something for the summer. Or should i just wait until summer to clean up the decks?

One of the decks is several years old. Its full of dog fennel, briars and saplings. Should i spray it before we doze it?

When should i put fertilizer on the new ground?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
After you've had the fire service come in and break up your ground, you'll need to disc it up, then apply your lime and get it worked into the top 4-6" of soil.

You could plant something like buckwheat a couple of times, but I think I would spend those next several months working on weed control. It will be your best chance to have a nice weed free clover plot. Spray, disc .... just keep killing the weeds that will pop up.

Then after October first, you can focus on establishing your 2018 clover plot. Put the recommended rate of fertilizer down, as close to what they say, since you're working on a perennial plot. Again, you'll want to get that in to the top 4-6" of soil. Right where all your clover roots will be.

Good luck and take pictures!