10mm load debate

B. White

For what it's worth, here is the entry hole for an Acme 200 gr hard cast flat point from this morning. Poor shot, but no tracking.

Attachments

• IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 500

1gr8bldr

I'm thinking of trying something else. I'm shooting the Underwood 180 xtps. 4 shots of mine on does, app 90lbs has done well although, none made it over 35 yards with a perfect shot, all pass throughs, none of mine started showing blood until after 20 yards, or more. Maybe I'm over thinking it because on the one hand, it performed perfect, on the other hand, I would like a quick starting blood trail. I guess I'm talking about a better ending wound channel. Based on the videos I have watched of gel test, the xtp opens then folds back almost 100%. I'm thinking of trying the Underwood Bonded jacked hollow point. The bonded usually getting less expansion, but for some reason, real results are showing more. Most test I have seen show that the pedals don't fold back 100% which will give a bigger wound channel. I'll try them and see if I get quicker blood.

1gr8bldr

No luck this weekend wanting to try the bonded JHP 180 gr Underwood {Gold Dot Speer}. However, I did shoot it before I went to the woods just to make sure it would hit the same place as my xtp's. I was 1 inch low and left at 60yds. This was acceptable and could have been me. Then 100yds, I could not see my target well and shot where I thought it was behind my dot. I hit 4inches low and 3 left. Acceptable to go hunt without moving my sights, keeping my 180 gr xtp zero. Just knowing a little high and right. However....... The 100yd shot, it seemed as though the bullet did not hit square on the barrel. I am using a barrel as a target in front of backstop to create a warming burn barrel, rather than drilling holes. Also this load felt different than the xtp's. Less recoil, less noise, I'm not sure what was up. I will have to further test once I go back to the hunting cabin. And... Both holes were bigger than a 10mm. Is it opening that fast on impact? I have never shot a barrel before.